Discount shopping in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any outlet stores and/or thrift shops in or near Dublin?
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Ardfert

There is one about an hour`s drive from the city in Rathdowney-see www.brandcentral.ie .If you are in Killarney there is one right at the back of the railway station.

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 03:07 AM
gbs

the outlets in Killarney are just terrible and not worth any time at all.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Are you looking for something specific? Waterford, wool, pottery, etc.? If you can be more specific, you might get a better response. (Just an FYI; I got some of my best "souvenir" shopping done at the airport upon departure... good prices and vat-free to boot!) Good luck!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Hi

To be honest not a great selection of Outlets in Ireland - particularly if your comparing to those in the states. Actually, the two there are, are (using a great Irish expression) BRUTAL!

But, if your looking for specific items, Crystal, linen etc. shop around and you'll find value particularly if your a tourist and can claim the VAT back.

If your visiting soon, the best bargain time is the January Sales.

Enjoy
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM

I thought the things I bought at the Blarney Woolen Mill were priced well. They take off the VAT and give you the forms. Be sure to drop the forms off at the airport when you leave.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:16 AM

I have to disagree with sjbisanz1 about duty free shopping at the airport: I think they are a 'Ripoff!' I did some shopping at Irish Handicrafts (the name of the shop) in Arthur's Quay mall in Limerick City: prices for Irish woolens were consistently lower (even with VAT) than those at Shannon's Duty Free shops AND Irish Handicrafts gives you an 'on the spot' VAT rebate - they'll fill out the form and enter your passport number and Flight number AND reduce the amount you have to pay by the applicable VAT amount (7%?).

Even the Guinness paraphrenalia at the shop next door to Irish Handicrafts was cheaper 'across the board' than at the Duty Free shops. But I had to fill out my own VAT refund paperwork for that.

I believe Beleeks, on Abbey Street in Ennis will also give you an 'on the spot' VAT rebate if what you purchase exceeds a certain Euro amount.

ALSO
Something that is not generally known: Children's clothing is NOT subject to Value Added Tax. A clerk in a shop in Ennis told me that when I was looking for things to buy for my grandchildren. I also bought some Aran wool sweaters
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM

I should have been more specific; I am the Queen of Cheap, so my bargains at the airport were t-shirts; 3 for 15 euro and other very touristy items; small Ireland motif soccer for my son, etc. I didn't purchase anything of "quality" there, just the usual last minute small gifts. (although my sis did buy a Cladaugh (sp?) ring there for less than anywhere else she had seen. I guess it's the same as it is over here; its when you shop and where you shop!) Have fun!