Reload this Page >

Discount Airfare to Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 05:19 PM
D Slams

I want to go to Scotland in late June, know it is high season, but $1200 is outrageous. <BR><BR>Does anyone know where I can get reasonable fares? Any thoughts about fares coming down over the next few months if tourism to the UK is off? <BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 05:33 PM
Don

From where? Do you plan to stay &gt;30 days? Both of those are huge factors in pointing you to best airfares.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 06:51 PM
d slams

From Detroit into Inverness, out of Edinburgh or Glasgow. We'll stay 10 days.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
Don

I think your best bet will be a consolidator ticket to London, then add hops to Inverness and back to London from Glasgow; or, if Glasgow roundtrip is nearly as cheap as London, rent a car there or use trains from there. Low-fare airline easyJet is serving Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness from Luton, but sometimes the competition (BA) will match fares out of Heathrow or Gatwick.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:36 AM
janis

The most I have ever paid from the west coast is $630 inc taxes so it should be a somewhat cheaper from the midwest. HOWEVER - an open jaw ticket into Inverness and out of Glasgow is crazy - probably $1200 IS a bargain for that itinerary.<BR><BR>Fly R-T either to London or Glasgow - probably around $550 if you shop around. Then either take the train, or better yet, drive from Glasgow to Inverness and back. <BR><BR>Getting into any major UK city from the US is pretty cheap (except in August) - but flying from the US to the small regional airports (Inverness, Aberdeen, etc.) is really expensive - just as it would be in the States.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Tony Hughes

Easyjet does Gatwick now as well. Service starts in February. Very useful.