Disabled travel in Galicia area of Spain

Dec 6th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Disabled travel in Galicia area of Spain

I am a wheelchair bound person planning a trip to the Galicia area of Spain next Spring to visit the birth place of my father. I am concerned about acccessibility to sites, museums, restaurants, etc. Does anyone have any knowledge about what I might experience? Will the issues be similiar to the US, or might they be more limiting? I would be disappointed to make the trip and then find myself restricted to the sidewalks of the larger cities.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Dec 6th, 2006, 05:32 AM

I'm disabled (no wheelchair, though ) and I've never been in Galicia but I'm Spanish and I have to say that it will be much more limiting than the US as a general rule in Spain.
While the efforts made to make most monuments accesible are rather good in the last years, they are really old buildings and it's not always possible. I don't think you will have big problems on restaurants, even if they are not fully accesible people will be happy to help you.
Are you travelling solo ? That would make it everything much more difficult.
Galicia is very hilly.
If you tell me what you do want to visit, I will search on the net for info , probably it's easier to find information in Spanish And I have a wheelchair bound friend that was in Galicia last year, I'll ask her
Dec 7th, 2006, 03:47 AM

I think about Santiago de Compostela and I don't recall seeing any wheelchair ramps around the Basilica although I did see people in wheelchairs inside the Cathedral. My guess is that they entered from the north side (few steps); but there is no way a wheelchair-bound person can get down to the Crypt or get up behind the main Altar.
The Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos is a maze of narrow corridors and steps, so I wouldn't recommend that; Hostal Hogar San Francisco (about 200m north of the Plaza del Obradoiro) might be more handicapped-friendly with an elevator to access upper floors.

Tell us where you will be visiting and maybe we can be of more assistance.
Dec 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful input. At this time, we are in the very preliminary stages of planning and have developed no specific itinerary-- just seeking general input to help us decide if the trip is feasible.
Dec 7th, 2006, 06:27 AM

I did a quick search and found the following infomation:

The Hotel Puerta del Camino has disabled facilities.
(http://www.puertadelcamino.com/english/), as does the Pension Rosa Rosae and the Hotel Jusa Santiago Apostol.

The Catedral de Santiago de Compostela has access for the disabled.

Dec 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Hi dickp, I am glad you received some replies on the Europe board. Best wishes to you on visiting the birth place of your dear father. Keep us posted, ok?