Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Directions in Paris Please? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/directions-in-paris-please-730408/)

venusfan Aug 20th, 2007 09:40 AM

Directions in Paris Please?

After weeks of checking I just booked an hotel and now I need directions on how to get there. I will be arriving at CDG and would like to know how do I get to this address 12 Boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75005 Paris via the RER.

The receptionist was teling me over the phone but the language barrier was too confusing. I checked the website and it says the RER LINE C "Gare d'Austerlitz"

I was looking at the RER map and I think I get the RER Line B3 at the airport then transfer to a C Line. I'm really confused please help.

Also, what kind of an unlimited pass can I buy for 3 days. I don't intend on going outside 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 districts so any help would do nicely.

Thanks.

venusfan Aug 20th, 2007 09:46 AM

forgot to add. Other means of public transportation would do nicely except for a taxi. Something like the Air France Bus. I wont be in a rush so would like to see the city a little.

Thanks

Christina Aug 20th, 2007 09:46 AM

You can usually get maps and directions online by www.mappy.fr or similar places, or on the French yellow pages www.pagesjaunes.fr

That is right next to the hospital, of course, and the train station Gare d'Austerlitz. You would do what you think, transfer from line B to line C to get to Austerlitz.

You should get a map of Paris with the metro lines map, also (although that map is on www.ratp.fr)

There is no 3-day pass except the tourist pass Paris Visite. You need a two-zone ticket or pass. If I were you, I'd just buy a carnet (a discount for buying 10 tickets at a time), or maybe a Mobilis pass if you use transportation a lot, which is a one-day unlimited pass for around 5.6 euro per day (for two zones).

TimS Aug 20th, 2007 12:45 PM

You have two choices:
1. RER B to St-Michel Notre-Dame and RER C to Gare d'Austerlitz.
2. RER B to Gare du Nord and Metro line 5 to Gare d'Austerlitz.

Are you taking this trip very soon? Currently parts of the RER C line are under repair so bus service is available to link the stations at either end of the construction zone. No need to worry about that if you take Metro line 5 from Gare du Nord.

Or you could take the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon and walk across the bridge to your hotel.

I agree that buying a carnet is probably your best choice for three days. The new "t+" tickets allow bus transfers for a trip of up to 90 minutes. (In the past, without a pass each change of buses required a separate ticket.)

venusfan Aug 20th, 2007 07:47 PM

Thank you so much Tom for answering my question. I will be there in two days August 23rd. I was looking at the shuttle vans the cheapest quote I got was $52 so was looking for a better option. Looks like I will probably take the air france shuttle.. then walk. Is it far? and will also buy those 10 tokens.

TimS Aug 21st, 2007 05:52 AM

It's a one kilometer walk and will take you 15 minutes. See the map here: http://tinyurl.com/2ylox6.

Robespierre Aug 21st, 2007 06:05 AM

If you reconsider and think you might take the RER route: I don't recommend it if you're arriving before 26 August. The C line along there will be out of service until then, according to http://www.ratp.info/orienter/travaux_ratp.php

Using single <i>tickets 't'</i> is economical up to five trips per day (a <i>carnet</i> provides ten rides for 11,10&euro;). Beyond that, your best choice is an unlimited <i>Mobilis</i> pass for 2 zones (5,60&euro;). Single tickets don't expire - so you can use them on your next trip :)

venusfan Aug 21st, 2007 05:55 PM

Thanks for all your help. I did the translation so that doesn't look too good.

Should I do as TomS said and take the RER B to Gare du Nord and Metro line 5 to Gare d'Austerlitz?

I will have a backpack and a medium suitcase. The AC flight comes in at 8:50 am so I think I should miss rush hour.

Or should I take the air france shuttle bus to Gare de Lyon and walk?

Thanks again.

mcnyc Aug 21st, 2007 06:22 PM

Hi Venusfan,

Which shuttlebus were you planning to book with? We booked with BeeShuttle at 17 euros per person, shared shuttle. If you're just one person, I believe it's 24 euors. I'd google Paris Airport Shuttle to see what else is out there. Most give you a discount for roundtrip reservations.

Caveat: although I had a problem with Bee Shuttle (no sign with our name on it, even though I was told specifically they would do that, which caused us to waste 2 hours at the airport), others here have used them to their satisfaction. It could very well have been just me.

Have a blast in Paris.

venusfan Aug 22nd, 2007 06:51 AM

I tried booking with bee shuttle a couple days ago and the site was having problems. I was even givin a page that was dated 2004 so to me that was sign so I exit out of there.

I leave for the airport in 2 hours so it's too late to book a shuttle. I'm going to do as TomS suggested and take the RER B to the Metro 5 and by those 10 tokens.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I don't know any French except how to say please so I know it's going to be bad with communication.

Wish me luck and hopefully I get upgraded to 1st class on the transatlantic portions of my journey.

Michel_Paris Aug 22nd, 2007 07:31 AM

Note..they are not tokens, but paper tickets

JMWF Aug 22nd, 2007 09:24 AM

do three tom's equal a tim? ;-)

have fun in paris...