Directions: Gatwick to Cambridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picking up a rental car at Gatwick next month and travelling to Cambridge. Online maps tell me the best route is to take the M25 and then M11. Looking for any advice or is this the best way to go. It's been over 30 years since I've made the trip so I'm sure I won't recognise anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The M25 is the circular motorway around London. Since LGW is south of London and Cambridge is north of London - at some point you do have to go on the M25 (unless you want to drive straight thru London which would be nuts). The M25/M11 is really the only even semi-direct route.

What day/time are you starting this journey? The M25 can sometimes be a hell hole and you will be going through the Dartford Crossing. Is this after a short flight - or after an overnight transatlantic flight?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM

It is the best way to go. Have some change for the Dartford Crossing. Go Dartford way! NOT towards Heathrow, long way around. Make use of a service station before M11 because "personal need" stops are less frequent on the M11.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

Picking up the car after a flight from Canada - anticipate hitting the road between 9 and 10 a.m.

How long should the trip take?

I'm probably an idiot to get off a plane and into a car - but have to be in Cambridge that day.

Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Please do not take this the wrong way but if you feel it is crazy to get into a car immediately why don't you take the train to London and change there for a train to Cambridge and then if you must have a car rent it there?

You could go from Gatwick via Kings Cross and then do a little walking (changing trains) and wouldn't even need to take a taxi or the tube in London.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I 100% agree w/ Dukey. The drive from LGW to Cambridge can be really ugly. And after a transatlantic flight it could be worse than ugly - like deadly. The jet lag factor makes driving, and especially that drive, not recommended.

Take the train - it will be faster and you can pick up a car the next day in Cambridge -- after a good night's sleep.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM

"I'm probably an idiot to get off a plane and into a car"

Correct. What you're planning is a criminal offence.

If you're involved in an accident under those circumstances, you'll be held responsible. If the accident involves a fatality, you'll go to jail.

First Capital Connect to Kings Cross, then train to Cambridge. A great deal faster.

And safer for hundreds of thousands of us.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:12 PM

I heartily agree with those who say "take the train." Adjusting to driving in the UK is stressful enough at the best of times, let alone after an overnight flight from North America. Don't think it is just a matter of remembering to drive on the left, either - that is the easy part. Driver's habits are different, and traffic is heavy, especially around Gatwick and the M25. Your reactions in an emergency situation will be dulled by fatigue.

Once in Cambridge you will find that it isn't a very car-friendly city. Parking is scarce and car park fees expensive. Cambridge is the bicycle capital of England, and has an excellent bus system.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:56 AM

Woody0070

How long does it take Gatwick to Cambridge by car?

www.theaa.com 1 hour 39 minutes
www.viamichelin.com 1 hour 47 minutes

I think these times are very generous.

I have made a similar journey Gatwick to Felixstowe many times. Return home for me from the US. How long it takes depends on the day of the week, weather, accidents etc.

Agree with the poster who said make sure to get some GBP coins for the toll.

On the return to Gatwick we always build in a generous travel time.

I have gone the train route and I didn't think it was any faster.

Sandy
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Agree with the recommendations to take the train. You won't save time by driving - the journey planner times given above are rather optimistic regarding travel conditions, particularly if you're arriving early morning.

If you do drive, the toll at Dartford is £1 for a car.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:15 AM

I disagree.
If you're happy to drive, it's an easy drive.
No trouble.
Why go into central london and potentially double the time of your journey?

The tain from London is often slow and overcrowded with commuters. I know, I did the journey for 3 months when I worked in central London.

Just drive. You know it makes sense until the UK government gets its finger out and modernises/revolutonises the UK transport system and integrates the public transport systems with each other.

And............................. relax