Dinner on the E65 enroute to Kalamata

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving at Athens airport at 6:45pm and have a lengthy drive to Kalamata. We plan to take the E65 south (after renting a car at the airport), and we were hoping to stop for dinner along the way.

We would love any recommendations for good, authentic greek food -- nothing fancy -- in a town along the way?

Thanks so much,
Dina
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:38 AM

Make a stop at Tripoli city and go at a greek traditional restaurant. The best solution is going to the city centre and asking locals for recommendations. They will undoubtedly give you the best option!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:29 AM

Going into Tripoli is one of your only choices as the motorway now extends all the way south of Megalopoli (Paradisia) & there is nowhere traditional to stop without leaving the motorway.
Another alternative if you are likely to be hungry sooner is to leave the main road at the Corinth canal turn off, a selection there around the bridge, although mainly souvlaki joints.
If you can wait until later there are a few choices in the villages once you join the older part of the road again, The one I'm thinking of in particular (friends have been, but I've not stopped there) is in Allagi.
If you can wait for your 'traditional' & would just prefer sustenance without leaving the highway there is Country Burger, on your right immediately after coming through the Artemisios Tunnel (near Nestani, about 15km before you reach Tripoli), which is just over half way time wise between Athens & Kalamata.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:56 AM

Why not grab a quick snack at the airport before going on the road? If you arrive at 6:45 pm it will be around 7:30 pm by the time you go through passport control and collect your bags. Go up one level to the departure area, and there is a selection of fast service restaurants. If you are hungry again by the time you reach your destination, you can look for somewhere to eat there.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for you replies!

I had thought of Tripoli as a possible option, and am happy to see it validated. I wasn't sure how easy in/out it was from the main highway.

Allagi also sounds interesting... I'll check it out to see how far south it is in on the map.

We can definitely play it by ear and see how hungry we are and how long we can wait...

Thanks again!
I really appreciate your replies!

dina