Dinner in Nantes at La Cigale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Cigalechanta I just finished a wonderful dinner at La Cigale in Nantes.

I started with a classic kir apertif.

Next was the seared foie gras with polenta and (I swear) applebutter. I had a glass of a slightly sweeter sauturne to go with the foie that complemented the super-fatty foie gras superbly. I couldn't believe I actually had a choice of seared or terrine of foie gras. Usually you only get the cold.

The main course was a beef onglet medium rare with sauted onions and a salad. It was blessed with a chinon red that was mild, amazing and drinkable.

Dessert was a cheese plate. Three cheeses: goat, bleu and a mild cheese like St Nectaire. A pine nut salad provided an excellent contrast.

Thanks again for the restaurant recommendation cigalechanta!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Indy, how do you like Nantes? We are considering going that way from the Dordogne up to Normandy, and perhaps stopping in that area. I will be interested to hear your impression of the town and surrounding area.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome back Indy, I hoped you were not disapponted, and I hope you asked for a menu picturing the beautiful tile cigale.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi wren.

I've really enjoyed my stay here for the last couple of days. Big enough to have fun, but far enough from Paris to practice my French.

Strolled a great botanical garden today. The musee Dobree is excellent and the art museum is very nice too. The dobree really surprised me. It has Bosch's "St Christopher." There are less than 40 Bosches in the world and Nantes has one of them.

The town has a nice tram network, the Jules Verne museum, a castle with a moat and lots of great little places to eat. The shopping Passage Pommeraye is gorgeous and gorgeously decorated for Christmas now.

The people have been pleasant and curious. I've seen many a head snap around as I speak English with my friend. It's so interesting and fun compared to jaded Parisians.

Tomorrow I head to La Rochelle.

Wren I'll post a trip report in a couple of weeks if you can wait. I'm in the computer biz and love checking out an internet cafe, but I won't be spending all my time on the internet.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi cigalechanta! Welcome back? I'm still here!

In fact I might have to have breakfast at La Cigale tomorrow before I leave for La Rochelle.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:42 PM

What a pity! We are all sympathizing for you!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:51 PM
ira

Hi Indy,

Sounds gooooooooooood. Would you mind letting us know the cost?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 02:24 PM

In La Rochelle, I loved Les Flots overlooking the harbor, his dad has the fancy expensive place further inland that overlooks the beaches. Richard Coutanceau: Plage de la Concurrence
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cigale, I saw Les Flots today. I'll look at eating there tomorrow.

Ira, with what I had I have to add my friend's because I can't do math like that. .

I had a kir, the sauturne, seared foie gras, onglet and a cheese plate. My friend had a pastis, smoked salmon salad, grilled fish in a spiced oil and a chocolate tarte. We split the bottle of Chinon. The total cost was 85 euro. I was very pleased with the price.

I drank most of the bottle of wine so unfortunately we didn't make it to La Cigale for breakfast this morning. I had to suffer with a pain au chocolate as we rushed to the train station.

Stumbled into La Rochelais for lunch today (Monday) in La Rochelle. Seated with a fresh cauliflower and radish dish. A kir, two rillettes appetizers, two agneau au sept heures (lamb cooked for 7 hours with a cheese potato side) a tarte tatin, a cafe and a 50cl of house red for 58 euro. The rillettes and lamb were excellent as was the tarte.

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 09:36 AM

In that area they serve super grilled lobsters. Here on the East Coast, the lobsters are usually boiled or steamed, and if you find a place that does grill it, it's usually too dry.