Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   dinner for 14 in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dinner-for-14-in-rome-465511/)

tangwah Aug 8th, 2004 03:29 AM

dinner for 14 in Rome

We are 14 ladies (grade school pals) who will be celebrating our 40ieth birthyear in Rome Sept 25th. Need suggestions for a nice restaurant for dinner, about 50-70 euros per pax with wine. Don't want posh restaurants. A homey but pleasant trattoria will do.

kslanker Aug 8th, 2004 04:28 AM

Try Alfredo's. And do get the Fettucine Alfredo. They are great people there. Ask for the waiter who is originally from Naples...long hair. he will treat you like queens. Go to the corner of Via Della Scrofa and Via dei Stelleta....ask any shop owner...Alfredos is around corner.

Alfredo's is about two blocks north of the Piazzaa Navona.. A great area.

dickv2 Aug 8th, 2004 06:02 AM

God morning, Tangwah
We have used the ristorante LA CAPRICCIOSA, Largo Dei Lombardi, 8 which is located ust off theCorso about one full block orth ofthe Condotti in the area of the Spanish Steps, Have been to this place each trip since 1971 and been satisified with the cost, quality and service..
Recall a room on the main floor that might be just what you are looking for.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

tangwah Aug 8th, 2004 04:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback, will check them out. I have a lunch and another dinner to plan for this trip to Rome.

ggnga Aug 8th, 2004 10:14 PM

My friend had her wedding reception/dinner at Coriolano Restaurant via Ancona 14.
When I mentioned it to our B&B host, he said it was one of the best, that past President Clinton and others have dined there. It is cozy, not stuffy and the food was fabulous. For 14 maybe you could get a special deal per person like the reception..ours included all you could drink of 1 red wine and mineral water and coffee. We had a appetizer of artichoke and mozarella drizzled in olive oil that I still dream about. The cake was fabulous followed by a bowl of tiny sweet wild strawberries. Not to mention the fabullous ravioli and the melt in your mouth tender beef. YUM!!!
I think you would be close in the price range.

rex Aug 9th, 2004 06:33 AM

I don't know if either of these will be "THE" birthday dinner choice - - but they can do fine for you at Le Volte (near the Pantheon - - Albergo del Senato routinely gives out their business cards) or Carbonara at Campo de Fiori (that might not be their full name, but it is something with Carbonara in the name.

Best wishes,

Rex

tangwah Aug 10th, 2004 01:41 AM

Thanks, all. We are a chatty bunch and if the weather permits, I would like to be outdoors on a piazza or a scenic street. Esp since it will be first and a short 2 day visit to Rome for half my friends.

ellenem Aug 10th, 2004 05:55 AM

We've used this place for group celebrations:

Trattoria Da Luigi
Piazza Sforza Cesarini 23?24
tel 06.6865946  closed monday

When we went with a group, they gave us a long table in the pleasant upstairs room. There's also outdoor dining in the small piazza in front. This piazza abuts Corso Vitt. Emanuele near the Chiesa Nuova.
The food is typical Roman, moderate cost. I've always eaten well here.