dinner at I Sette Consoli in Orvieto

Jan 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

dinner at I Sette Consoli in Orvieto

After leaving Rome we will spend one night in Orvieto and would like to have dinner at I Sette Consoli. Will definitely make a reservation. What is the menu like? We do not eat much red meat--certainly no game meat or anything unusual. We enjoy fish but no squid, octopus, etc. I know this restaurant is not inexpensive so I want to be certain there will be something we will enjoy on the menu. Would like to hear details. Thanks!
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Nini, the menu is posted just outside the door of the restaurant, so you could stop by in the afternoon to check it out. After you read the menu, if you decide you don't want to eat there, you could cancel your reservation.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM

We were going to have lunch there - their 5 course tasting menu for 40 Euro. The menu had deer, rabbit, pigeon, and squid -- can't remember the 5th course. I would have had no problem, but the Mrs. said no way.

Their rule was if one person at the table had the 5 course menu, everyone must have it. We opted to go elsewhere. Maybe we should have stayed and ordered off the ala carte menu.

So many people rave about this restaurant. I would recommend you go and try their ala carte menu. It should be posted outside. You will surely find something to fit your palate.
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Budman. I agree with your wife--there is no way I could enjoy any of those menu entrees. I don't consider myself picky but on the other hand I am squeamish concerning unusual meats. This restaurant seems to get rave reviews so perhaps the a la carte menu is very good also. Honestly I cannot imagine eating pigeon--even if it were free.
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Take the underground tour while there. You will find that pigeon was the main course for the Etruscans.

I didn't think of it at the time, but if I had it to do over again, I think I would have stayed for the ala carte menu.
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM

"We do not eat much red meat--certainly no game meat or anything unusual. We enjoy fish but no squid, octopus, etc."
Given your statement, I'm not sure this restaurant is your best bet. They are definitly adventurous in their use of ingredients and from my experience and do an exceptional job. Our last lunch there at 40 euro each included an omelette with umbian lard & carmelized onions; supa with pan seared squid,fagioli, & barley; tortelli w/ suckling pig; pigeon w/ carmelized grapes & potatoes;small cheese plate w/ chutney;dessert was gelato w/ hazelnut parfait & caramel sauce--and cafes. Nice/elegant inside setting--fantastic pranzo! Paul
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM

I've been looking into this restaurant since I've heard great things about it and will be in Orvieto this summer. I can't find a website for it, but have found lots of websites that refer to it and have great reviews of it. It appears that it is well-known for serving specialties of the region, which of course include game.

I'm not sure what's so "unusual" about game and seafood other than fish. Things like pigeon and wild boar and octopus and snails and so forth are absolutely delicious. Is it really inconceivable for you to try them? I mean, if you eat chicken, how is pigeon so different? If you eat pork, why would boar be such a stretch? Do you eat shrimp? Then why is squid impossible?

Don't really understand this mentality. I had lion steak on my honeymoon in Hilton Head many years ago, and that was pretty awful, but the types of game and seafood that are routinely eaten in Europe don't seem to me to be "unusual" at all. In fact,most of them are absolutely delicious and worthy of a try.

Except tripe........
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:53 PM

That menu sounds like a very good deal for 40 Euros, except for one thing. Is it really possible to eat that much food? How I wish for a better metabolism, but it seems like one would get overstuffed with that many courses. Maybe a marathon walk before lunch would do the trick?
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Is it really possible to eat that much food?

I assume you said that in jest - that menu sounds like a good warm up for some serious eating.
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:38 AM
ira

Hi N,

In Sept 2003, the FP lunch (40E) was:

Squid and zucchini fritters

Tagliolini with baby squid, lobster and zucchini blossoms (Heavenly)

Duck filled tortellini with walnut sauce

Lamb loin in a rosemary crust with sauteed porcini and potatoes

Cheese plate

Semifredo Moscat with peach sauce

We had 1/2 bottle of Orvieto Classico with the lighter offerings and 1/2 bottle of Brunello '97 with the lamb.

You don't have to have a full meal. You could order an appetizer and a primo, or a primo and dessert.

I have some pix at
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...u&x=0&y=ty3ifu

Jan 17th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Here's what we had there in 2005. I don't want to tell you not to go because of your food restrictions but if you really have several food limitations you may be better off at a traditional place.

Selection of breads

2001 Sagrantino

Filetti di pesce persico, dorati e croccanti, insalatina di campo all’ aceto di lamponi e salsa di senape (ocean perch with balsamic salad and raspberry mustard vinegarette)

Terrina di fegatini di pollo, salsa al Vino Dolce di Orvieto, pan brioche caldo e cipolle rosse caramellate (liver pate with sweet Orvieto wine sauce and caramelized onions)

Risotto Carnaroli ai carciofi agnello e cavolo nero (lamb, artichokes and cabbage)

Tortelli di anatra al profumo di arancia, salsa di sedano rapa e pecorino Umbro (duck filled pasta perfumed with blood oranges and local pecorino cheese)

Suprema di pollo farcita ai porcini arrostita in forno, profumata al marsala e tortino di broccoletti “ripassati” (chicken with porcini mushrooms in light marsala sauce and a broccoli tort).
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM

nini, I understand your concerns completely. I don't have anything really to offer, but my DH and I will be in the area in March and considered eating at this restaurant but are having the same reservations that you are. Unfortunately we are both really picky eaters. I'm not adventerous in the least when it comes to my food. In the meat catagory I don't stray too far away from chicken and I don't eat any seafood. My pickiness is definitely not my favorite trait but alas its who I am.

Thank you for posting this question.

Tracy
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Ira, your pictures are gorgeous!!! I'm going in March and cannot wait. Especially on a gray, rainy, dreary day here on the East coast in January.
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Ira - you photos have convinced me to include Orvieto in our itinerary in May as well as lunch at I Sette Consoli. We'll be staying at La Saracina (in between Pienza & Montapulciano). Would you allow an hour/hour & half for the drive/parking to Orvieto? Do they take lunch reservations or only dinner? Thanks, in advance, for the info....
Jan 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi D,

Figure 1:30 hr from La Saracina to Orvieto train station.

Park at the foot of the hill and take the funicular up to Orvieto. It's fun.

Your ticket gets you a ride on the bus to the center of town, or you can walk from there or walk from the funicular along the Corso Cavour.

Add another 0:30 hr.

They take lunch reservations.

Hi L,

Have a great visit.

Feb 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Do I need a reservation for lunch in March on a Saturday afternoon?

How do I get in touch?

Thanks
Feb 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM
ira

Hi F,

Reservations are always a good idea.

I Sette Consoli
Pzza Sant’Angelo 1A
phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911

Feb 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Here is the e-mail address: [email protected]. Be prepared for the reply to be in Italian. From what I have been able to translate, the restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings until after Easter. We are going to be adventuresome and try it for lunch. I was not able to view Ira's photos but it must be good with some many rave comments.
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Hi Ira-
Your pictures are GORGEOUS!
Thanks for sharing them.
Dina
Feb 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Those are great pics...thanks Ira!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO