Reload this Page >

Dining out/Restaurant Etiquette in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Stentor

<BR>I'm curious to find out about dining customs in France before I depart for my trip. Could someone walk me through a trip to typical French restaurant from entrance to exit? There are some customs in Europe that are unusual to an American, that would be helpful to be aware of. For example:<BR> <BR>Are you typically seated by a head waiter, or can you seat yourself (as is the practice in much of Germany)?<BR><BR>Do you order the beverage first?<BR><BR>How do you ask for the bill?<BR> <BR>How much do you tip, and how?<BR><BR>Is the bill settled with the waiter at the table (as in Germany? Or do they leave the bill with you?<BR><BR>I'm curious and want to be a respectful first time traveller to France...

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:48 AM
kate

As far as I can remember,it is all just the way they do it in the US or NYC to be exact.<BR>Casual cafes/bistros,there is still someone to seat you.The bill comes,you settle it at the table with the waiter.You tip 15-20% or they include it,in France you ask if it is included and I cannot remember right now the phrase!Memory failure<BR>Really good restos-pretty much the same~<BR>Wine/beverage first,they will come around in the really good places and give you an amusement(something for a tiny taste,no charge) then you read your menu,ask your questions,order,eat,ask the waiter for "Addition sil vous plait" I can say it but may not spell it correctly.<BR>They bring you the check and you sit there and figure it out.Leave the money on the table or if you need change,wait,the waiter does it all.<BR><BR>Then you leave.<BR>And walk back to the hotel if possible because you will be SO full<BR>kate<BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:49 AM
kate

Compris!!! that is what you ask if you are not sure if the tip is included.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:07 AM
In France

Kate: its just as its written but it is l'addition (i.e the bill)<BR><BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:10 AM
kate

Merci-France! Kate

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:17 AM
x

Je vous en pris, K!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:26 AM
kate

With me??!!<BR>Merci,x

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:35 AM
StCirq

Stentor:<BR><BR>The first thing you do is say "Bonjour, monsieur/madame/mademoiselle." You will then be seated at all but the most incredibly casual establishments (snack bars, e.g.).<BR>If it's a fairly fancy place, chances are the waiter will ask you if you want an ap&eacute;ritif, which you order first. If it's lunch or a not so fancy place, you probably won't be asked, but feel free to tell the waiter you'd like one. Otherwise, you order your drink along with the food.<BR>To request the bill, get the waiter's attention and say "l'addition, s'il vous pla&icirc;t." A 15 percent gratuity will already have been included. You may leave extra change if you feel the service has been exceptionally good. The bill is settled with the waiter, except in some caf&eacute;s/bars, where the waiter will leave the bill on your table and you can feel free to leave before he returns and pay at the cash register.<BR>Always exit with a "Merci. Au revoir."

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:43 AM
x

Just an elegant means of saying you're welcome, which someone might say after you thank them for a gift or act, maybe a tuck-in.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:51 AM
xxx

je vous en prie, not je vous en pris.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:56 AM
x

A typo - just glad my ole prof didn't catch me. By the way, always hang a sir or madam on your statements, requests, questions, at the beginning and/or the end. Polite, effective, correct. No quibbles with that, I trust, lol.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:31 AM
frx

x-<BR>in regards to thanks for gifts,tuck ins,etc.~would donnez-mois un baiser work?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:42 AM
x

Imagine it would, frx~assuming a request were still necessary. I'd think it might be rather automatic should the occasion occur. Possibly then arretez, monsieur, might then be useful, gt;

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:46 AM
prude

Ooolala, you two! Stop or Arretez!!! getting quite steamy here!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:50 AM
x

Oo-la-la yourself, prude, lol, nothing happening here, take your fantasies elsewhere. Maybe your a/c needs adjusting.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:56 AM
erin

Usually in the fine restaurants you order an apertif while looking at the menu. You then order dinner, then the sommelier comes to your table to help you order a wine based on what you ordered. You never order the wine before you've ordered your meal.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:57 AM
neverSayNever

Unless that is the wine you will drink the rest of the meal.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
x

Don't wait-you should ask for the bill, "l'addition, s'il vous plait," if you expect it during your natural life.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Stentor

<BR>Great responses!<BR><BR>Tell me, what aperatifs would you all recommend before a meal at a French restaurant?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:28 AM
erin

It is the wine you drink for the rest of the meal. The sommelier cannot help you unless he knows what you've ordered. But hey, if you want to look foolish, be my guest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -