Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dining in Dublin - Shanahans (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dining-in-dublin-shanahans-647459/)

Angela Sep 19th, 2006 01:31 AM

Dining in Dublin - Shanahans

My husband and I, and another couple, are going to Dublin for the weekend in October. We are staying in the Merrion Hotel. I have wanted to try Shanahans on the Green for so long, and havenít managed to get around to it yet, so I am going to book it for the Saturday night. The only problem being that one person in our group doesnít like steak, and obviously this is Shanahans speciality. Is it suitable for a non steak eater? She likes fish and chicken, and I really want us ALL to enjoy our meal.

I also need somewhere for dinner on the Friday night. Somewhere a bit more casual, walking distance from the hotel, maybe a wine bar or pub type atmosphere, with plenty of buzz and people watching. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Angela

cailin Sep 19th, 2006 01:42 AM

Shanahans is fab! They do have alternatives to steak. Their menu is on their website www.shanahans.ie.

Dobbins might be a good option for the Friday night. It's very close to the Merrion, does fab food but has a more casual feel. www.dobbinswinebistro.ie

cailin Sep 21st, 2006 02:12 AM

I just thought of somewhere else for Friday night - Fallon & Byrne. It's a little further from the Merrion. It's on Exchequer Street so would probably be a 15 minute walk, but they have a lovely wine bar downstairs, and restaurant upstairs.

Angela Sep 21st, 2006 03:06 AM

Thanks so much Cailin, I'll check these out.

I've went ahead and booked Shanahans so I'm really looking forward to that. The last time we were down we loved Cafe en Seine so no doubt we'll end up there on one/both nights after dinner!

Is Cafe en Seine nice for lunch? And I also looked at the website for the Mansion House on Dawson Street, do you know what this place is like for lunch/dinerr/after dinner drinks?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. We go to Dublin maybe 4/5 times a year, but we like to try different places so I've always got loads of questions.

And Exchequer Street bought back memeries too, I got my wedding dress made in a boutique on that street!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Angela

cailin Sep 21st, 2006 04:41 AM

No problem! I haven't been to Cafe en Seine for lunch in a few years, but it was good last time I went. There are some great spots on Dame Street for lunch - I was in Gruel yesterday and it was fab, and I also love the Mermaid Cafe.

Are you talking about Fire at the Mansion House? I haven't been myself but it got very mixed reviews when it opened last year - the food wasn't all that great if I remember correctly.

Another new place that is my current fave is Venu - just off South Anne Street. They don't take bookings so just turn up at the door and have a cocktail while you wait for your table. The cocktails are fab and the food is excellent. It's run by Patrick Guilbaud's son...but you're not looking at Guilbaud prices!! It's very good value - I was there recently with some friends and we had 2 cocktails each, starter & main and a half bottle of wine each and it was €80 a head.

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 12:41 PM

Thanks again Cailin. Venu is definitely on my list of places to go, but I think we want something more casual for Friday night. I'm really interested in Fallon & Byrne which you mentioned, it sounds interesting! Have you tried it? I can't find too much info on the web about it, is it a deli with a restaurant and wine bar? I wish I could find an example menu on the net, but I cant. Is it a relaxed, chilled out, smart casual, buzzy kind of place? (as that is what we are after).

Thanks again!

Angela

OReilly Sep 25th, 2006 12:48 PM

From what I have heard, Cafe en Seine has gone down quite a bit. I was in Dublin a couple of months ago and wrote up a restuarant review which I will top for you.

regards Ger

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 12:51 PM

And now, after checking out Venu extensively (read: obsessively!), I'm starting to think it might be a better choice for the Sat night than Shanahans!

Ooooh I dont know, I've wanted to try Shanahans for ages, but the couple going with us prefer more casual, buzzy, less stuffy restaurants (they're 20 & 21), and I think Venu fits this description better than Shanahans. Any thoughts?

Sorry for being so obsessive!

Angela

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 12:51 PM

Thank you Ger.

Angela

OReilly Sep 25th, 2006 12:54 PM

For "buzzy", check out Blue - I think it will fit the bill.

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 01:38 PM

I have actually looked into Blue a few times, and whereas I always thought the menu looked great, it just looked a little too modern, sterile and cold for our tastes.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

Angela

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 02:02 PM

And can anyone give me an opinion on Bang Cafe and Ely Wine Bar please.

I know Bang is close to the hotel and I like the menu. Anyone been?

Ely Wine Bar, I'm not sure where this is. Is it walking distance from Merrion Hotel?

It's between these two, and Fallon and Byrne for the Friday night.

Thanks

OReilly Sep 25th, 2006 02:06 PM

Hi Anglea. Check out the thread I topped for you on Dublin Restaurants; BANG! is included.

I go to Bang regularly and always have the same thing - steak & chips, which is wonderful. I really like the restaurant - plain food, really good ingredients, well cooked.

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 02:10 PM

This sounds perfect for Friday night! Good food and a VERY short distance from the hotel. I've walked past it before and always thought it looked nice. We don't arrive in Dublin til about 4.30, so a few drinks in the hotel bar, and then walking to Bang sounds rather nice!

Thanks OReilly

OReilly Sep 25th, 2006 02:15 PM

BTW, One Pico is very highly rated. I ahve had lunch there a couple of times. Really great food, very chic restuarant and expensive. Thought to be one of the best in Dublin and is "Blues" flashier sister:

www.toptable.co.uk/detail...85/spos|1/

Regards Ger

OReilly Sep 25th, 2006 02:17 PM

Opps, that link didn't work, try this:

http://www.toptable.co.uk/details.cfm/qs/rid|685/spos|2

If not, go to toptable.co.uk, choose DUBLIN and you will find it on the first page.

Angela Sep 25th, 2006 02:17 PM

We like to do one buzzy casual restaurant and one expensive top notch one, and I think we're going with Shanahans for our expensive one this time. But One Pico has been on my list (my list is very long!) for a while, and somewhere I def want to try, so hopefully we'll get there soon! I have heard consistently good reviews, and never a bad one.

Thanks

Angela

cailin Sep 26th, 2006 12:40 AM

For buzzy I would choose Venu over Bang. Bang is good but I much prefer Venu. I haven't tried Fallon & Byrne myself yet. It's very new which is probably why you can't find very much on it but, yes, it has a food hall, wine bar and restaurant. I have heard lots of excellent reports and will be trying it soon. It's one of the new "in places" along with Venu.

Angela Sep 26th, 2006 01:42 AM

Am I correct in saying that you cannot book Venu, you just turn up, put your name down and have a drink (or two!) while you wait for your table?

If so, if we turned up at about 7.30 next Friday night, would we be assured of getting a table?

Thanks

Angela

cailin Sep 26th, 2006 05:28 AM

Yes, Venu only take reservations for large groups (more than 6/8 - I'm not entirely sure). We turned up on a Saturday at 8.30pm and got a table. We had to wait about 40 minutes for it, but there's a lovely bar area where you can have a cocktail or two and people-watch while you're waiting. So yes, you would be assured of getting a table although you might have to wait a while.