Dining & Lodging in Paris and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our first trip to Paris and Rome in May 2013. We've received lots of advice about things to see and do, but are looking for helpful hints about where to stay in both cities, as well as some suggestions about good places to eat. We'd like to keep our lodging to $200 US Dollars or less a night (but are willing to pay more if needed). Our tastes are not extravagant, but cleanliness and safe location are a must.

Suggestions??
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM

I think the general goal in cities you visit as a tourist in a foreign country for the first time is to stay in a fairly central area to the city, which will have lots of people around, restaurants, etc., and convenient public transportation.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM

Every place in the historic center of Rome is safe and good for visitors. If you are not spending a lot of money, it is best to look for a bed-breakfast owned by a family for the nicest place to stay that isn't expensive. It can be warm in Rome in May, so you might need air conditioning.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM

I have rented apartments in Paris for the last 7 years and have used a few different websites depending on the size of the apartment that i needed. I have rented from Thierry at
PARISBESTLODGE.COM several times and have found him to be a honest and reliable
His apartments are modestly priced and very clean and safe.He has studios, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments.
His apartments are in great safe areas.
I am also going to Rome nexr year and after much searching on the internet I found a site that seems to be very good.I have not yet stayed in the apartment ,however the reviews from previous guests and the landlady's quick response to all my emails make me feel very confident about renting from her.
She is listed at VRBO #108288 and #124068

Both apartments in Rome are in a great area to stay in near Campo del Fiori.
Hope this helps and have a great trip
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:58 PM

Do understand that some modest B&B have stairs versus elevators -- and many not have AC or may charge extra for it.

As for dining - it's hard to find bad food in Rome. The key things are to avoid the tourist traps. These places will be very near a major sight, will have menus in multiple languages (or even with pictures) versus in Italian and sometimes even have touts grabbing people in. Look for places that are patronized by the locals and the food will be much better - even in modestly priced places.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM

Personally most first timers should use a hotel/B and B so that they have the opportunity to have someone to help them with info,possibly call and book things for them in that language,etc.The ability to meet fellow travelers at breakfast to network info is invaluable also which you won't get in an apartment.
I would suggest going on places like Tripadvisor,Booking.com and review former threads on Fodors for places that people recommend for the central area in each city. Go to the library and get some guidebooks and get some maps so you can make good choices.
Let us know something about you-ages,interests,do you like to walk or take public transportation,etc. and you will get lots of help here on Fodors.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

All of the information so far has been great. My husband and I are fairly active and prefer to walk when reasonable. Of course we want visit the touristy sites, but in regards to lodging and dining, we want to have more of a "local" experience-- prefer not to stay in hotels that are part of a chain, or dine in tourist traps. We're from Florida, so hot weather is nothing new to us and wont be a problem. We're just looking for some good cafes, bistros, restaurants and some B&B and/or hotel advice or recommendations.
Thanks again, to all who have posted and to those that will. Any and All advice is welcomed!!
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 03:55 AM

In Paris when not renting an apt. We have stayed lately on Rue des Ecoles in the 5th. It is walking distance to the Seine and Notre Dame and has excellent transport options. 2 metros nearby and about 6 bus routes. The hotel we have stayed at most frequently is Le Familia but this trip we are trying their other hotel next door La Minerve> the rooms are small but very clean and free internet access/There is a bekery nearby if you don't want their breakfast. Numerous cafes and bistros nearby. 2 of our favorites are Buisson Ardent and Bisto des Gastonomes.Rooms at the front have small balconys and the minerve has courtyard rooms.Excellent knowledgable staffs too.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 04:04 AM

People often refer to "touristy" areas of Paris as if that is all that is there. As in all large cities, people really LIVE in these areas that happen to have sites that people visit. Rue Cler is often thrown out as nothing but tourists, but why would tourists be in all those flower and butcher shops buying bundles of flowering kale, hunks of ham and chickens with the heads still on. Real Parisians actually come down to the boulangerie to buy their bread--every day.
I prefer a hotel and recommend it for the ability to have some help making reservations at the local good restaurant, or calling a taxi to take us to CDG.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 07:45 AM

I have used Parisbestlodge and second the recommendation,but I also agree that a hotel is a good idea for first visit.

I have stayed at these and can recommend for good area, clean, a/c( which you won't likely need in May anyways).

Hotel Diana
Hotel Des Grand Hommes
Hotel Le Regent( book deluxe rooms, standards too small)
Hotel Brighton( Tuilleries View rooms are great)

These hotels are all good choices,, I think Hotel Le Regent had the nicest bathrooms if thats any help( they all have modern nice bathrooms though), and I liked their location the best.

May is a busy month with lots of holidays, so book early if you can, more likely to get a deal,, just make sure they have good cancellation policy in place for the type of rate you book, they all do have cancellation policies, but sometimes they give you a super low rate if you book non refundable, I never do.