Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dingle or Kinsale (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dingle-or-kinsale-296612/)

dcormann Feb 2nd, 2008 05:48 AM

Dingle or Kinsale

I know these are two completely different areas but which would you choose if you were driving from Galway? I understand Dingle is a nice little town as is the peninsula.

Is the peninsula a good day for a drive? Lots to see? Would you stay two nights?

Or would you drive to Kinsale which is supposedly a great village as well.

Which town would you rather spend 2 nights in? Considering the town and the sites in the area.

Thanks,

Dave

magistra Feb 2nd, 2008 06:38 AM

Have spent several nights in both Dingle and Kinsale. While I enjoyed Kinsale, every time I return to Ireland I always find time to make Dingle part of my itinerary! I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you choose.

Judyrem Feb 2nd, 2008 06:39 AM

We stayed in Bunratty for one night and the drove to Dingle and stayed 2 nights and liked it very much. We then drove to Galway. When we go back, we will go Kinsale.

JOHNOD Feb 2nd, 2008 08:13 AM

If you can only do one then my vote is Dingle. The Sleahead drive is not to be missed. When you drive down from Galway take the coast road through Ballyvaughn and Doolin and then the Tarbert Ferry. Its a little longer but it will take you through the Burren, Past the Cliffs of Moher and some great scenery along the coast. I would definitely stay two nights and don't be afraid to wander up to the high road and away from the quay, there are some great pubs up there that alot of tourist never see. Have fun

Viajero2 Feb 2nd, 2008 08:40 AM

Dingle. You are done.

Ruff Feb 2nd, 2008 10:41 AM

We've stayed in both places -- definitely Dingle.

chatham Feb 2nd, 2008 10:57 AM

docormann,

I've stayed in both places and I'd say DINGLE. I stayed 6 nights in Dingle and could have made it a year. My 4 nights in Kinsale were pleasant but I wouldn't go out of my way to return.

Have a great trip, Joan

beeze Feb 2nd, 2008 11:18 AM

We drove to Dingle this past July; it's a big drive from Galway (we went from Lahinch, via Loop Head, an un-interfered-with, wild seaside cliff, with no tourist mobs or fences, to get the Tarbert ferry across the Shannon) You will need to check the ferry schedule.
We studied Kinsale, wishing to include it, but it was too far away, however gorgeous.I'm sure you can't go wrong, either way.
If you do go to Dingle, we stayed nearby in Inch, at House of Four Angels,a small B&B wonderfully furnished and friendly, run by Dudley Morgan, an ex-pat American professor of English.
If you do go, you can consider visiting Conor Pass for incredible valley views; Anascaul for pottery, and the beehive huts (this was about our favorite: Mary -I think- O'Hallorhan, who runs the place, took our 9 year old daughter, who had blistered her hand on nettles, inside her home to wash her fingers, and ended up showing us the scrapbook where she had been interviewed by Barbara Walters decades ago, and then photographed with the cast of Far and Away, which was filmed there--she had a bit part!)
Make sure to get good maps for driving if you don't have a gps...we ordered ours from Longitude Books in Washington, DC, as the usual bookstore Michelin 1:400,000 won't cut it!!
Will be happy to provide any other helpful info should you need it.
The best advice, which I got from these forums, was DON'T underestimate your driving times!
Penny

mjs Feb 2nd, 2008 09:05 PM

Another vote for Dingle.

laurie_ann Feb 3rd, 2008 04:53 AM

We have also done both and would say Dingle. The driving is beautiful. Pubs and restaurants and B&Bs have lots of atmosphere. Be sure to see the ancient Gaelic archeological sights (even though we had a rental car we took one of the small minivan tours from Dingle for a half day, it's hard to find these places on your own and harder to interpret them on your own) and the museum at the end of the Pennisula about Gaelic history.

sheri_lp Feb 3rd, 2008 08:51 AM

I stayed in both and I loved each. Had wonderful dining and excellent pub nights in each. We stayed at Cill Bheac B&B in Dingle, our hostess Angela couldn't have been more wonderful as well as the breakfast and price. Stayed at Old Bank House in Kinsale, which is pricey but well-located for our one night. Overall, Dingle may have more to offer and of course the drive around the Peninsula is well worth it - stop in to see Harry at the Museum!

irishface Feb 3rd, 2008 10:38 AM

Another vote for Dingle!

LarryJ Feb 3rd, 2008 10:49 AM

If it's just a comparison of the two towns I would prefer Kinsale but when you consider the Dingle peninsula the choice is much more difficult.

Larry J

colbeck Feb 3rd, 2008 12:41 PM

I agree with Larry J -- two very different experiences.

bdokeefe Feb 8th, 2008 03:01 PM

My wife and I stayed in both towns last May, Our vote would be for Dingle. Try and stop at the Blasket Center if you do the peninsula drive.
Very interesting place and free w/ a Heritage Card.