Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Dine with the stars (the REAL stars) at Gornergrat (Zermatt) oppo

Dine with the stars (the REAL stars) at Gornergrat (Zermatt) oppo

Nov 11th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Dine with the stars (the REAL stars) at Gornergrat (Zermatt) oppo

Normally the Gornergrat railway from Zermatt stops running late afternoon and the only people who get to enjoy the beauty of the site at night are the people staying at the hotel. But every Thursday this winter, starting on January 7, you can now catch the train up, visit the observatory, have dinner at the 3100 Kulmhote, and then catch a train back down at 11:15 pm. It's a nice option for people staying in Zermatt.

Price is 97 francs per person (includes the train ride, visit to the observatory and dinner).

Full details: http://gornergrat-kulm.ch/rooms-suit...stars/?lang=en
Nov 11th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

FWIW, we stayed overnight at the hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's amazing to be there almost by yourselves (the hotel isn't that big). Dinner was fine, not a gourmet wow experience, but certainly tasty enough.

The night we stayed was fairly cloudy so we didn't get to see the stars in all their glory. But we did get to watch a few severe thunderstorms unfold in the valley below us, in itself a pretty neato experience.
Nov 11th, 2016, 05:54 AM

Thank you WeisserTee. I'll add this in my Zermatt checklist. It's spontaneous informations like that that are valuable for me (us)
Nov 11th, 2016, 09:27 PM

Thanks for this info, WT!! I'm personally not a fan of the town, but this would certainly make it a worthwhile visit!

s
Nov 12th, 2016, 12:57 AM

Those mere mortals staying "down" in the Monte Cervin Palace must have been so jealous LOL.

I've often wondered what that hotel is "really" like.
Nov 12th, 2016, 05:37 AM

Possible to use the Half Fare Card to get up there and then just buy dinner on our own?

Do you know what the dinner consists of? If it's only cheese fondue, my husband won't go. He hates cheese!
Nov 12th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

I doubt it's cheese fondue, but you could always contact them to check. And I think it's a package deal, but again, you might want to ask.
Nov 12th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Guess I could also ask at our hotel when we're there to see if you can get on the Gornegrat train with just a regular ticket (1/2 fare in our case) in the evening.

Can't imagine they would only serve dinner to those who take the package deal. Have to feed the people staying at their hotel too.
Nov 12th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Diane, you are misreading my post. The Gornergrat train normally does not run in the evening. The last train down is just after 5 pm. This train is an exception, run only once a week during winter and from what I could ascertain, it's a package deal. You can NOT just hop on the special train and buy dinner on your own.

Normally, dinner is available ONLY to hotel guests. If you're not staying at the hotel, then you simply can't dine there in the evening -- EXCEPT with this once a week, special offer.

It's the only chance for people to be at Gornergrat in the evening and dine there without staying overnight. If you're not staying at the hotel and want to be there in the evening, you have to go with the package. Part of the reason that you have to take the package is so that the train and kitchen staff know exactly how many people are coming. If not enough have reserved the package, it will be canceled and they won't run the evening train.
Nov 15th, 2016, 03:27 PM

I just checked the SBB website and there are trains on January 5, 2017 leaving Zermatt at 5:24, 6:24,7:24 PM. So there do seem to be trains going up there in winter in the evening without buying the package deal. Last train back to Zermatt is 8:47PM.

However, if the hotel does not serve anyone coming in who is not a hotel guest, then I guess it would be useless to do that.
Nov 16th, 2016, 04:36 AM

I emailed the Gornegrat Hotel and they replied that I could in fact have dinner there without being a hotel guest. Of course I would have to take the "regular" train back to Zermatt in the evening which would leave at 8:00PM vs the almost 11PM if I bought the "special" ticket.

Search this Thread