Reload this Page >

Dilemna-want to keep our friends!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:54 AM
travel

Few years ago we spent 3 weeks in Europe and met friends who were also travelling thru Europe..we rented a house with them for one week. We all said we'd like to do it again. Loosely planned to go to Spain Sept. 2003 and to meet them again for one week. No dates set, no formal meeting re. trip but verbal discussions that we were going and they were going. Now I find my sister is spending sabbatical in Sydney Australia in 2004 and have been invited to spend 2-3 weeks there. I can't afford to do both. Would it be terrible to cancel Spain trip? Would friends have every right to be angry with us? Please help us decide if we should keep our commitment and go to Spain next year?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:00 AM
amazed

Are you serious? Are you saying you really can't figure this out for yourselves??

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Ellen

Why don't you see if the friends would consider changing their itinerary and going with you to Australia in 2004 instead of Spain in 2003? If not, go see your sister. Family should come first, IMO.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:57 AM
carla

Why amazed by this question? A lot weirder ones have been asked on this forum!!!!!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:38 AM
Christina

life happens, geez.. this is a year ahead of time, tell these friends about the unusual opportunity with your sister being in Australia and you can't do Spain in 2003. I gather no definite plans were made that involved money deposits or unusual work arrangements or anything yet. Say you want to do Spain in 2004 (if you do) and let them decide if they want to wait or not. If your friends are angry because of this, I wouldn't personally care unless you are leaving something out of your summary.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Nycer

I would only be really concerned if I had already put a deposit down on a place. That to me would indicate a firm committment, even amongst friends.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
travel

No deposits, no air fares, no firm plans. Just a couple of friends who have been looking forward to joining us for a week in Spain. Will they go if we don't? I'm not sure....

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
trying

Only you know how firm the plans are with your friends. If money or, perhaps more importantly, vacation dates, have been obligated, then you should not back out. If it is still talk, explain to them the circumstances and they'll understand. Don't delay, though.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:33 PM
self

Just be careful not to become a BBD person. We have "friends"?? who are always looking for the BBD (the bigger, better deal). We know (now, after a few odd situations) that plans with them are never set until they show up. If they get a BBD, they'll take it (without regard to others' feelings). We don't respect them and don't make plans with them, though we enjoy their company if they show up. I'm not suggesting that you in any way resemble these people (a year out is hardly standing someone up), but just keep that in mind.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:19 AM
travel

My partner thinks IF we can downsize our original trip we might be able to do both. So we're thinking of spending one week Barcelona/Seville and one week in Nerja with our friends instead of the original 3. Anyone have any suggestions of how we can downsize the costs in Barcelona/Seville? ie. We'll need a car in Nerja but probably not the first week in Barcelona/Seville. What is the cheapest most effective way to travel from Barcelona to Seville and then to Nerja? Should we stop in Malaga to pick up our car and try and fly home from there? The week with our friends will be in an apt. so that'll save some $. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the input.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:18 PM
swing

HuH??? Where in the world did you come from swao? Nothing in this whole thread that I can see indicating anyone is interested in swinging. Travel..I've never been to Spain but I think you can do any place in Europe on the cheap. If you don't mind eating in local restaurants that aren't pretty but are cheap. In bigger cities you don't need a car - local transportation is fun and cheap. If you have an apartment, you can have your "big" meal at noon and then eat a light meal in. Lots of stuff you can do to cut costs. Also look for some nice hotels in Barcelona and Seville that are inexpensive - I'm sure a search here will find some for you. Good luck.