Reload this Page >

Digital cameras & Gatwick Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:17 PM
JOEMPA

Two Q's for veteran travelers: <BR>1. Many posters have warned against using voltage adapters in London, so Im worried about how to charge my digital camera batteries(w/ its dock). Not recommended??<BR><BR>2. Any good suggestions about moderate hotels near Gatwick w/ transport to airport? I'm surprised some (Hol Inn Xpress) dont have A/C.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Gretchen

In Paris I was able to use my recharger without any adapter in the shaver plug in the bathroom. I did not leave it plugged in if we were not in the room.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Gregory

Hi,<BR><BR>Two potential moderate hotels;<BR><BR>Travel Inn ( 5 minute walk from the North Terminal also transport is provided i think) Cost around &pound;45per night<BR><BR>If staying over a weekend night then the Renaissance Gatwick may offer a good rate ( I got &pound;60 for Sat 15th June) transport is also provided.<BR><BR>Regards

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Alex

I took a NiMH/alkaline battery recharger with me to the UK for two weeks and it worked just fine with a ***low-wattage*** (&lt;50W) converter. My charger tends to get pretty warm when in use, so I usually didn't leave it unattended. YMMV.<BR><BR>Though I never tried it, it would probably work just as well if plugged into the "shaver points" in the loo (just make sure you pick the 110-115V outlet and not 220-240V, otherwise it will fail the smoke-and-fire test.)

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Dave White

Joe,<BR><BR>Check your camera's charger to see if it is dual current--i.e. 110/220V and 50/60mHz (many newer electronic items can use either current). If so, all you need is a electric plug converter so that you can plug in your US-style charger to the UK-style wall socket. <BR><BR>If you have any doubts about the dual voltage capacity of your unit DON'T PLUG IT IN! As another poster said, you do not want to to fail the smoke-and-fire test.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Travis

I was just there (england, france, and holland) last week. I brought my digital camera for the first time. As long as it reads 110/220 and 50/60 on the charger, it will be super A-Okay, all you will need is the adaptor so the prongs fit. I left mine plugged in all day every day with zero problems! Take tons of pics!