Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Digital Camera with Memory Stick - How many pictures did you get off the stick?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Brian

Hello,
We just purchased a small digital camera that takes a memory stick. We bought the extra memory stick for $90.00 that holds aprox 100 pictures. Has anybody used one of these before? Can you recharge the batteries there?
(We'll be in Germany & Poland). How many pictures did you get off this stick? I know it depends on resolution etc.- what setting would you recommend? Were you able (& how) to send the pictures home? Any tips would be helpful - we are a little confused.
Thank you.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:17 AM
nevil

Just bought one as well. Extra memory card (128MB) that I have holds something like 170 pix on the finest quality, 950 on lowest. Don't see any reason to have it set to something other than the finest quality.

Not planning on sending pix home, can't help you there.

You can re-charge your batteries, but you need a transformer thingy for European outlets.

Good luck!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:13 AM
david

wh... /

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Anita

We just got back from our Europe trip. My son took his digital camera (Fuji).He had his big memory card but forgot to bring his small "backup" card. He got about 150 pictures on his card. His takes the rechargable lithium batteries (square looking. We bought a voltage converter/adapter from Radio Shack before we went. Make sure it is a converter + adapter.They also sell just the converter but in England the outlets took a flat prong & in France it needed a tiny rounded prong.
We didn't try sending pictures home because we didn't have acess to internet & figured trying those internet cafes would be too slow. Also I wondered if you needed special stuff on the computer to do it. I have to say the pictures even in low light were great.Plus if your shot didn't come out you could just delete it & retake.

Have fun!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Burta

I just got back from Europe last week. Took a new Sony P-31, which was good for travel because of it's size (I also have a more expensive Sony digital camera that is heftier and less convenient for travel). I use a 128 MB memory stick and a back up 64 MB memory stick that I already had for the older camera and never ran out of space during my 10-day trip. Used both the e-mail and highest resolution settings (at least with the Sony, two photos are taken in e-mail mode).

I tried downloading and sending the photos home so I could clear my memory stick, but at the cybercafe I went to, I was told that I had to have the Sony driver, which I didn't bring with me. Otherwise, plugging in and downloading would not have been a problem. This is a good alternative if you plan a longer trip or take tons of pictures. If so, better take along the camera driver so that you can do that at any public cybercafe (if you are no using your own laptop for internet access).

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Burta

Sorry I forgot to answer your question about how many photos I got. I got about 150 photos on the 128 MB stick.

The newer, less expensive Sony that I brought with me had rechargeable nickel hydride batteries (my more expensive one has rechargeable lithium battery pack). I could recharge my batteries in France, but I had to be sure to have a plug transformer (not power transformer) as the outlets are a different configuation from the U.S. It also took a long time to recharge (more than the 13 hours listed in the manual for a fully drained battery). The good thing was that I could use regular AA batteries. As a backup these are terrific, but be sure you have a few because they use up power very, very quickly. When using the AA batteries, I went through two a day.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Burta

Guess I should read your entire question thoroughly before I respond. In Germany and Poland you may need a power transformer as well as the plug transformer. My recent experience was in France. I can't remember what I needed in Germany, but I would take the power transformer just in case.