Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Digital Camera rechargeable battery. Adapter? Converter? Help. :) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/digital-camera-rechargeable-battery-adapter-converter-help-472241/)

acgift Sep 5th, 2004 11:44 AM

Digital Camera rechargeable battery. Adapter? Converter? Help. :)

Hi - We just purchased an Cannon Elph S410 digital camera. We will be visiting England/Scotland/Ireland and Wales soon. We have the correct size "plug" to use from a former trip, but don't we need an adapter to change the current in order to charge the battery? What do we need? Thanks.

pandaschu Sep 5th, 2004 11:58 AM

Yes, you will need a converter. You can find them at any travel store, or probably somewhere on the internet. They ususally come in a kit with adaptors that enable you to use the converter for most of the globe- a worthwhile investment.

DonnieD Sep 5th, 2004 12:49 PM

You are correct and there is another recent thread that addresses this fullY:

You need either:

1) A dual voltage power supply battery charger with a plug adapter

or

2) A single voltage power supply battery charger AND a voltage converter AND a plug adapter.

You can pick these items up at a Radio Shack (if you are in a hurry, OR on-line) if you know what you are looking for. Don't assume that you have a dual voltage charger: IT must say 100V - 240V.

I bought recently purchased the MH-C204W from www.mahaenergy.com via amazon.com. I leave next week.

ira Sep 5th, 2004 12:54 PM

Hi AC,

Look at the label on your charger. It should say "110-220V, 50-60Hz".

If it does, all you need is the plug adapter.

TopMan Sep 5th, 2004 12:56 PM

CAUTION: DO NOT buy or use a converter until you closely inspect your battery charger..if it says 110-240 V input then you do NOT need a converter...all you will need is an adaptor for the plug.

The chargers for these cameras are made for use all over the world which is why most of them will accept 110-240 voltage ranges.

pandaschu Sep 5th, 2004 01:33 PM

So sorry to have misinformed...

My Canon battery charger says Input: 110V- 240V. Does this mean I needed only to use an adapter in the UK, not and adapter + converter? (I had assumed that because there was no switch for a change in voltage, that it was not a dual voltage device).

In my past two trips I have used both, apparently unnecessarily!

Well, you learn something new every day.

pandaschu Sep 5th, 2004 01:38 PM

I also meant to add...

:">

almesq Sep 5th, 2004 01:43 PM

If the charger says 110-240, it IS dual voltage and no converter is necessary. Don't need a switch, it automatically handles both voltages.

acgift Sep 5th, 2004 02:17 PM

Thank you all. I really feel silly now. I checked the charger and it does indeed say 110 - 240, so, all we'll need is our "plug". Thank you all for being so quick and thoughtful.

batterlove Sep 7th, 2010 06:09 PM

Canon?This brand of digital camera will appear such questions?

Delaine Sep 8th, 2010 12:53 PM

I have a Canon Elph too, and all you need is an adapter.

Sarvowinner Sep 8th, 2010 01:37 PM

Why has this 6 yr old thread been resurrected?