Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Digital Camera Chargers & Adaptors - Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/digital-camera-chargers-and-adaptors-italy-633826/)

Maire Jul 25th, 2006 09:20 AM

Digital Camera Chargers & Adaptors - Italy

Forgive me for asking, because I'm sure it's been answered before . . .

My digital camera charger says, &quot;AC100-240V&quot;. I know I need a plug adaptor, but does this mean that I do <b>not</b> need a transformer or converter? Thanks.

alanRow Jul 25th, 2006 09:35 AM

several (million) times.

You only need an adaptor to make US plugs (assuming you are US) fit European sockets

Maire Jul 25th, 2006 09:08 PM

Thank you Alan. I understand the plug adaptor is what I need to fit the Euro sockets. Just not as clear about the voltage and electric currency issues.

Sarvowinner Jul 26th, 2006 05:43 AM

You don't need a transformer because your charger works with voltages up to 240 and Europe is 220 - 240.

missypie Jul 26th, 2006 06:26 AM

If you are going to multiple cities, charge whereever you can. We charged our electronics in Florence...I'm so glad we did, because when we got to Venice, nothing would charge. The hotel had just opened a year ago, so old sockets, etc. were not the issue. Even when we plugged things into sockets where lit lamps were plugged in, absolutely nothing happened. So don't wait until the last minute to charge things.

kslanker Jul 26th, 2006 10:42 AM

Plug your charger in the electric razor outlet (120v,60hz) in the bathroom. Virtually all battery chargers now have switching power supplies. Same for you laptop computer.
But, you can as said get a plug adaptor and plug charger in anywhere in hotel room.

ronin Jul 26th, 2006 12:25 PM

My wife and I both have Canon Elph's (different models = different batteries... Aarrgghh!) and the AC adapters say they're good for international voltages - you still have to buy the plug adapter for your region. But I brought a small wall-wart voltage converter with us anyway (heavy!) after hearing that the Canon adapters &quot;whistle&quot; or buzz at high frequency when handling the higher voltage - enough that some people weren't sure they could sleep over the sound. A cursory look at all our adapters (Palm, cell phone, etc.) suggests that they'll all handle 250V, though.

Dick Jul 26th, 2006 12:28 PM

If your camera takes batteries, take an extra set and you wil be guaranteed to have battery power.

sdtravels Jul 26th, 2006 03:46 PM

This question isn't as simple as it seems. I have a minolta digital camera with a minolta battery charger. The manual says that the charger which is rated to 240v is not to be used in an area of the world other than where it was purchased without purchasing a different cord for the charger. This sounded ridiculous to me but sure enough in small print on the side of the cord it said it was only rated to 120V. I ordered the cord. Minolta never processed my order. I finally purchased a CTA brand adaptor from B&amp;H for about $20. It is small, plugs directly into the wall, (no cords) and has a car adaptor. I haven't used it yet. I leave on August 24.

Maire Jul 26th, 2006 03:59 PM

Thanks everyone.

Missy - that's a good idea, and I'll be sure to charge phone whenever we can.

Sdtravels - I checked my cord; it doesn't say that it's only rated to 120V, but am checking my manual to be sure.

rkkwan Jul 26th, 2006 03:59 PM

sdtravels - You don't have to worry about the cord. A battery charger uses very little current, any cord you use here will be fine anywhere in the world. Minolta is trying to save you some money.