Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Digital cam or 35mm in Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/digital-cam-or-35mm-in-italy-304124/)

cin_sg Apr 6th, 2003 03:13 AM

Digital cam or 35mm in Italy?

I'm going to Italy for about 10 days in May but wondered if it is going to be a hassle to bring along the digital cam? My concern is that I will not be able to charge the batteries since I plan to stay in hostels most of the time. Can anyone advise? And also, how much memory would be enough (based on your experiences)? Or would a 35mm camera suffice?

Gretchen Apr 6th, 2003 04:46 AM

I assume the hostels will have electricity for recharging your batteries. I guess with respect to memory you need to think about how many pictures you like to take--10 rolls of 36? If your digital allows it you can drop the resolution for some pictures and still get acceptable small prints. Of course a 35 mm will "suffice".

Dog_Mother Apr 6th, 2003 04:55 AM

Definitely take a digital camera! <BR><BR>Last year, we were gone for 17 days--I completely used up a 256 and a 16 compact flashcard--and this was after deleting all the inferior shots I had taken. <BR><BR>In preparation for this year's trip, we've purchased a 512 CF card--in addition to the others. This may seem like overkill--but, this year, I want to take some video clips (16-30 second) with the camera. I want to preserve sights AND sounds--without buying a camcorder.<BR><BR>Unless you process your own film, you will more than make up the cost for the memory cards in no time at all. UNLESS, of course, you feel you must make print copies of all your pictures. We print very few of our pictures--we love to enjoy them on the computer screen, or with a projector instead.

stevenc Apr 6th, 2003 01:04 PM

If your batteries are rechargable most charging divices are now 120-/220 automatically. Otherwise take along extra batteries. I am a professional <BR>photographer and attended a workshop in<BR>tuscany last year. I shot five gigs of data and downloaded the images to a portable hard drive that holds 20 gigs.<BR>Compact flash media is very reasonable<BR>now. Check the prices at Crucial.com<BR>This company is owned by Micron Technology so they are discounting and selling thier own memory.

china_cat Apr 6th, 2003 07:40 PM

you probably knew this...but the little view screen on the digital camera is the big drain on the batteries. If you can get by with just using the viewfinder (at least most of the time), you'll probably find the batteries will be fine. I always pack a spare battery, anyways.<BR><BR>I'm going to take about 256MB of smartmedia for a week in Paris. for my 3MP camera, that's about 160 photos which is plenty for me.

FlyFish Apr 7th, 2003 06:36 AM

I just took my two digital cameras on a trip to Italy and filled up the equivalent of about 1000 MB on various CF cards. Though it's more expensive initially, I prefer to use a larger number of smaller cards so if something happens to one of them I haven't lost everything. I charged a number of various batteries several times each using the little voltage converter I've carried around the world for the last 30 years or so - no problems whatsoever. Even hostels must have some source of electricity you can tap into.

Gretchen Apr 7th, 2003 07:20 AM

China Cat, what resolution do you use that gets fewer images than the #of MB/s? I get 80 HQ from a 64 MB smart Media card. Just interested in learning.

china_cat Apr 7th, 2003 07:41 AM

Gretchen,<BR>I'm using 2048x1536.

china_cat Apr 7th, 2003 08:05 AM

actually, I just realized I only have a 64MB card, and I thought it was 128, so I got the numbers wrong. Gretchen, you have it correct....80 pictures from a 64MB card at 2048x1536. my mistake...

cin_sg May 3rd, 2003 09:56 AM

This is really overdue but thanks to everyone who responded! Will be off to Italy in less than 2 weeks and I know this doesn't sound intelligent but can someone explain a little to me about converting voltage (???) while charging up digital cam batteries? Thanks!

smunch May 3rd, 2003 10:37 AM

Most chargers have dual voltage capability. Look on the back for something like 100-240V 50-60Hz. Then all you need is the adapter plug for the two prongs used throughout Western Europe, available at AAA, Radio Shack or any travel store for $2-$3, and you can charge your batteries while you sleep.

Jim_Tardio May 3rd, 2003 10:38 AM

Well, let me play the &quot;anti-digital&quot; for the time being and suggest that you just bring a 35mm film camera.

Film is readily available all over Italy, you'll free yourself from the worry of batteries, memory, etc...and you'll have a permanent, higher-quality record of your journey.

Now before anyone retorts that they get wonderful, high-quality results with digital, I completely agree...especially if you're just making a record of your trip...digital is a fine, practical alternative to film. I have, and use a Nikon 5000 myself.

But I still prefer the look, ease and enlargement abilities of film.

Regardless of the lack of film and processing costs, I think it is still easier to shoot film, drop it off at your favorite place processing...even have a CD made for a few bucks more...and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Just my opinion.

&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jimtardio.com&quot;&gt;http://www....com&lt;/a&gt;

Jim_Tardio May 3rd, 2003 10:41 AM

Sorry for the garbled link at the end of my message above. It seems Fodors still hasn't given us the ability to make clickable links.

Have a great trip in Italy!

kp May 3rd, 2003 11:42 AM

I love using a digital camera but no longer lug around the charger and adapter. I just pack a few batteries from home and then buy them as needed.
I also have a Lyra player(like an MP3) but it uses CF cards. So I load my cards up with music and &quot;books on tape&quot; before leaving home. Then, when I need a card for photos, I simply stick it in the camera, format, and I ready to go.

ira May 3rd, 2003 11:58 AM

Hi Cin,

If your charger is not dual voltage, it will probably be cheaper to buy one that is rather than a voltage converter.

loislane17 May 3rd, 2003 01:09 PM

Both! I take my regular 35mm, and generally shoot 2-3 rolls a day. however, I've gotten more efficient because I now take the digital as well. I use it for interior shots, for snaps, for special shots (testing what might look good in sepia or black &amp; white rather than color) and just as an alternate.
This last trip was two weeks, and I took an extra charged battery and card and never had to worry about recharging. I turn off after each usage and don't use it full time, though.
But I agree that 35mm is to me still the best medium. I sell photos, and the comparative results I think favor the 35mm. At least right now! And I'm shooting some hefty megapixels!
So if you have the shoulder power, take em both!

aneckc May 3rd, 2003 07:45 PM

Go to Radio Shack and get a kit with a 2 prong adapter and a universal converter. Each European country has their own converter system for changing 220 t0 50-60 volt systems which we use in America. I had no problem re-charging the batteries for my Sony digital camcorder last summer. I took lots of digital stills with my 128 mb memory stick as well as video everywhere we went. I believe a video recording with sound is the only way to go. Hearing the singer and accordion player on our gondola ride in Venice was priceless. The Italian Alps and Portofino were incredible on my video. I brought 6 videotapes and used them all. Condensed them to one 2 hr. S-VHS tape when I got home as well as beautiful 8X10 photos of my best shots. So, I think I got the best of both worlds. Remember NOT to pass your film with your luggage, only your carry-on. Otherwise your film will be ruined. You can edit and re-take digital photos over and over right away as opposed to the 35mm films.

cin_sg May 4th, 2003 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone...very grateful for your suggestions and advices. It has definitely given me a very good picture on the pros and cons of both in this aspect!