Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Different Carry-on Rules for US/Non-US Intl Flights?

Apr 8th, 2002, 02:57 PM
packGirl

My past Europe-bound flights have been non-stop from the US, but that's over with my next trip. I'm flying into Amsterdam on NW, and then on to Paris via KLM. I've read their websites and spoken w/a NW rep; however, I haven't gotten a real confidence-boosting reply. Do any Fodor-ites know from first-hand experience? Here's the question: Will my NW-approved carryon still be accepted when I get ready to board the KLM Amsterdam to Paris flight? Or, will "they" (European airline or airport authority) require it be checked because of (a) a dispute with its size or (b) I've already got one "carry-on" (my purse). I'm in final packing mode and I'd like to know how this scenario is most apt to play out before I finish. I appreciate your help!

Apr 8th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Rex

The rules can easily be different, though perhaps less likely since you are not changing carriers. But it can vary depending on the aircraft, or even how full the flight is.

And many of the low cost (INTRA-Europe) carriers have very strict rules about carry-ons (weight, even more than dimensions). BA too - - trans-atlantic included (they're the worst, in my opinion!)

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 9th, 2002, 06:34 AM

bringing your message back up to the top for you, also known as topping

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:30 AM
honey

My experience has been that they let you on with a lot more in the US than in Europe. Carry-ons that always go on US flights aren't always accepted on European flights. They'll stop you as you board and make you check it there. If your carry-on is close to the max size or just looks big, you may have problems, especially if your 2nd flight is full.

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:31 AM
honey

I should add that it doesn't really matter what the 'rules' are, if they think your bag is too big, that's all that matters.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Sjoerd

Rules can be different. However, this is not a problem. They will just tell you at the gate in Amsterdam and check the bag for you. Happens thousands times every day.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Nancy

They can change/amend rules last minute. I always carry medicine in my carry-on and last year BA told me that I had to check my small tote bag because there was not enough room in the overhead bins. I protested/ explained and refused. I was almost balcklisted! When I got to the gate, the gate agent had been notified and again tried to force me to check my bag. Again, I refused and finally persudad them to let me carry it on board. Inside, lots of others had larger carry-on bags. To this date I still don't know what their problem was and why they were so rude.

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Mary Ann

Hi Pack girl

Not only do they sometimes vary on size but on weight. We were coming back from Europe and KLM required us to spend almost 2 hours juggling due to weight limitations. My daughter had been over there for 3 months plus and we had so many breakable items it was a real hassel. There were 3 of us so we transfered as much non breakable as possible to checked baggage. My husband went to the freight area and was able to get a box to check more items in. The problem was still the champagne, wine, (very heavy) and breakables. Fortunately I had an expandable purse which ended up holding 2 half bottles of champagne. They did not weigh purses. It was a nightmare, they wanted us to check the video cam (you can imagine how many rolls of film we had that we did not want to check).

Ironically, the next time I was prepared and they did not weigh the carry ons so go figure, but be prepared!!

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Kay

You can usually have a carryon about 22" long maximum in the US. Check with different airline web pages. In Europe, I think the length limit is 18" or 19". I purchased a 17" and my husband an 18" so we can take them anywhere. Bag and Baggage had an international chart in their store, you might find one on their web site.

Apr 9th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Alex

NW owns KLM, so I expect they would have the same requirements .. but then again, airlines tend to defy logic sometimes

Apr 9th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Sjoerd

Alex: NW does *not* own KLM. They co-operate a lot and have an alliance. KLM used to own a large stake in NW, but they sold their shares a few years ago.

Apr 10th, 2002, 05:19 AM
ttt

topping

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Alex

Sjoerd: I stand corrected. NW and KLM seem joined at the hip, and I just assumed that NW owned or somehow had considerable financial interest.

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Holly

packGirl - You may very well have to check your roll-on for that last leg of the flight, but you'll most likely be checking it at the gate or even on the tarmac just outside the plane. It's not a big deal. At that point, you really don't have to worry about the bag getting lost. 2 weeks ago they made me check my bag at the last minute, in large part for security reasons (I think) because I had gone 2 segments with no checked baggage. I say this because there were other people on the plane with carry-ons larger than the 1 they made me check. And be prepared for being selected for security inspections every step of the way, if you're not checking any baggage.

Apr 10th, 2002, 02:22 PM
FLJudi

To be on the safe side, bring along a folding sac (Totes makes a nice one) and put inside your carry-on. If you are made to check the carry-on (some airlines are as fussy about weight as dimensions)you can grab a few of your most important things (medicine, etc.) and put inside sac which you take aboard and check the carry-on.