Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dietary requirements when travelling to France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dietary-requirements-when-travelling-to-france-1669046/)

hayleybicknell7668 Jul 3rd, 2019 09:53 PM

Dietary requirements when travelling to France

Hi Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy CO YO coconut (dairy free )yoghurt in France? I am going to EuroDisney with my children, but I have very restrictive dietary requirements so am looking (hopefully) to be able to find some of the products I can eat.

I would also like to find out if any supermarkets in France do delivery options - so could I get some food delivered to where we are staying?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated - thank you

janisj Jul 3rd, 2019 10:53 PM

>>so could I get some food delivered to where we are staying?<<

Why would you need delivery? There are shops in every neighborhood. What sorts of things can you eat other than dairy free yoghurt?

bilboburgler Jul 3rd, 2019 11:25 PM

French Yoghurt is a "national crown jewel" and obsession. So the answer is "almost certainly as long as it is French".

J62 Jul 4th, 2019 02:01 AM

I can’t speak for France but on a recent trip to Italy dairy free yogurt (coconut/almond), and beverages both flavored/sweetened and unsweetened were available in large supermarkets. Smaller markets did not have these products.

we have severe dietary restrictions in the family so we understand the challenges. We have had good luck finding products to eat just about anywhere we travel. Europe seems to be ahead of the US in making foods available in mainstream stores. That said, we always travel with enough food to get us through 24-48 hrs in a pinch. You can deep freeze some of your own products and put them in your checked baggage.

kerouac Jul 4th, 2019 03:02 AM

There are numerous vegetal imitations of dairy projects in all French supermarkets. And yes, the big chains deliver.

Christina Jul 4th, 2019 04:56 AM

that particular brand, COYO, is not sold in France. It is sold in the UK.

suze Jul 4th, 2019 08:09 AM

Does it have to be that exact brand? Can you get buy with other kinds of soy, almond, rice, coconut milks or yogurts?

With severe dietary restrictions I think it would be better to do your own shopping in person (take a dictionary or phone app if you don't speak/read French) than try to use a food delivery service even if it is available. If you say the general area you are staying people might have favorite stores to recommend.

janisj Jul 4th, 2019 09:41 AM

>>I think it would be better to do your own shopping in person<<

That was my thought as well.

Welcome to Fodors - unfortunately that means there can't be a lot of give and take for the first few days because you have a limitation to the amount you can post. So when you do post back give us as much info as you can in one swoop: What else can you eat? Must it be that exact brand? Where are you staying? etc.

kerouac Jul 4th, 2019 10:06 AM

Doing one's own shopping is pretty obvious when there are dietary restrictions, not to mention that there is a fee for delivering purchases under 50 euros in most cases when you don't have a loyalty card for the store.

Hayley, are you staying next to Disneyland or in Paris? If you are in Paris, you will find a multitude of places to buy anything you need, including all of the organic stores (Naturalia, Bio C'Bon and others). If you are staying near Disneyland, your best bet would be the Auchan hypermarket at the Val d'Europe mall, one stop on the RER from Chessy-Disneyland.