Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Die Zauberfote at Volksoper (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/die-zauberfote-at-volksoper-576220/)

LGBooker Dec 14th, 2005 07:35 AM

Die Zauberfote at Volksoper

We are going to Vienna for Christmas and have foolishly waited until the last minute to book Opera tickets. We wanted to go to the Staatsopher but it doesn't look like it is going to be an option (we want mid price seats for Opera on the 23rd or 25th at night).

Is anyone familiar with the Mozart opera Die Zauberfote? We are both ignorant when it comes to opera but we love music and are open minded. I am ready to book...any reason why we shouldn't book tix for this opera at the Volksoper?

molker Dec 14th, 2005 07:43 AM

Book - a very nice evening!

logos999 Dec 14th, 2005 07:48 AM

>Die Zauberfote
This hurts.. By all means, don't go, you won't like it ;-)

Eloise Dec 14th, 2005 07:50 AM

You might know "Die Zauberfloete" by its English title, "The Magic Flute."

It is considered one of Mozart's greatest operas, and I don't think you can go wrong with it. But do read a synopsis of it before you go: It has a very complicated plot.

LGBooker Dec 14th, 2005 07:53 AM

Great! Thank you! I will be sure to read up before we go.

Can anyone advise on attire? I've read that we'll see anything and everything at the Volksoper. Even in the evening and on Christmas? We would acually prefer to get dressed up!

Intrepid1 Dec 14th, 2005 07:56 AM

I cannot stress strongly enough the wisdom of downloading a synopsis (easily obtained using Google, for example) of the story and becoming familiar with it prior to attending. Please do not rely on any translations/titles which may not even be provided in this particular venue to help you understand what is happening.

The first opera i ever attended was almost 50 years ago in the Volksoper in those oh-so-sensible upper balcony nosebleed sit-up-straight sets but it was in Vienna and unforgettable. Hopefully, your experience will be even better.

molker Dec 14th, 2005 07:59 AM

You can buy a program with a summary in english at the Volksoper.

They may have programmed english subtitles by now.

I believe the Vienna Boys Choir may have a short on stage appearance also.

BTilke Dec 14th, 2005 08:45 AM

I attended The Sound of Music at the Volkoper earlier this year (fortunately I didn't have to read up on the synopsis for that show). They showed English subtitles over the stage (I guess that would make them super or over titles) so you may see them as well. I had floor seats about halfway back and the view was very good.
The Volksoper isn't as impressive as the Staatsoper, but the acoustics are good. At the show I attended, the audience attire ranged from casual (jeans) to business to traditional. Nobody in formal wear, though.

bob_brown Dec 14th, 2005 10:58 AM

Die Zauberflöte, or the Magic Flute, is one opera that is a satire as well as a farce. English translations don't really convey the meaning of some of it.

Whether or not you would like this particular opera is problematical. Although I have attended many opera performances and have several full length operas in my CD collection, I have not yet become a great fan of Mozart's operas. On the other hand any opera fans swear by them. It all depends on musical tastes.

Are you familiar with any of Mozart's symphonies?

I have had no arguments with the quality of the singing at the Volksoper. What they do best is light opera, such as Die Lustige Witwe (Merry Widow), but you must realize that Mozart and Vienna have a strong tradition and a long history.
There are plenty of good singers in Vienna!!