Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Did you pay cash or with a credit card for your airport shuttle in Paris?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Mom

We are thinking about using Mark Harris' company for our transportation from CDG. However, if we agree to pay with US$ it will be 89FF per person which they say is approximately $18. With today exchange rate 89FF = US$12.08 Or maybe you paid with FF?
Did you feel comfortable paying with a credit card and what about charges on credit card statement? I heard they sometimes charge two times for the same service. Did they charge $89FF per person for two of you or US$ 18 per person? This is very unclear for me and it is a big difference between charging $18 or $12.
Please help me out. This is my first trip to Europe and I am organizing everything on my own with lots of great information from this forum. Thanks

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Randy

Two years ago I used one of the shuttle companies to get me from the hotel to CDG and it cost me 85FF for one person. I do not know about the Credit card, but I would like to know. I would use the credit card if I could. That way your credit card company makes the conversion from francs to dollars and I think it would be at a fair rate.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Sherry

We have used a shuttle service twice in Paris. I do not know if it was Mark Harris'. From home we reserved a pick up from the hotel in Paris. We paid cash when they arrived to take us to the airport. The second time, our hotel required us to pay a small deposit, also in cash. When the shuttle picked us up we paid the driver the balance in FF. The hotel had given us a receipt for the deposit. VEry easy.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Bob Brown

I have ridden twice with the Paris Airport Shuttle. This company uses vans painted yellow and blue. I don't know if that is Mark Harris's company or not. I paid in advance for two passengers with a credit card before leaving home. The fare for two passengers was 89 francs each. I did have some francs in my pocket to tip the driver. There was no funny business about the charge either time.

The PariShuttle, which offers airport transferts [sic],charges 95 francs "per head." (Given the time honored and highly efficient French practice of separating heads from torsos, I trust that this is a quaint Gallic way of saying "per person" and that whole people are transported.)

I looked up the Yellow and Blue Paris Shuttle van service, and its web page is indeed saying that its price of 89 ff is about $18.00 in US. (I think someone or some body who used to work for the rival company that deals in heads got Canadian dollars stirred in.)

That is unfortunate. Given that the relationship betweenthe franc and the euro has been fixed for several years, I don't know why the web page does not simply state the price in euros and be done with it. The franc has not been that strong against the US dollar in quite sometimes. I checked, and saw it has been more than 3 years since we have paid that much for francs. (The table only went back 3 years.) In the last three years the rate has fluctuated around 7 francs on the dollars. (The best I can recall was about 7.8; the worst was around 6.4)

But not to worry, I paid the cost quoted in francs with my credit card. You can do same in folding money if you wish. The only hitch comes in how you acquire the francs, or euros, depending on when you go. My friendly neighborhood branch bank charges me about 5% more for foreign exchange relative to what I have paid at ATM machines on the streets of Paris. It has also instituted a 2% add-on fee for converting non US dollar denominated transactions! Cheap skates!!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Marcia

We paid with our credit card before leaving for Paris. They charged the US rate for 2 people (which was cheaper than if we had paid in cash). The toll free phone # for Airport Shuttle (Mark Harris is the manager & all his employees speak English)is 1-888-426-2705. Have a great trip! I can't wait to go again.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:59 PM
Mark Harris

Dear OP Mom ,

Our website is indeed out of date in terms of currency conversion.Our prices are 89 FF/ 12 $ per person .The website is currently being updated for the introduction of the euro on the 1/1/2002.You are under NO obligation to pay by credit card , you can pay cash $,FF or Euros directly to the driver.

(Before I get roasted over hot coals this is NOT an advertisement merely an information update.)

PS.Many thanks to Bob for bringing this discrepancy to my attention.

best regards & happy holidays

Mark Harris
Manager
Airport Shuttle Paris

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Bob Brown

This is not a paid advertisement either.
I have used Mark's yellow and blue van service twice.
The procedure is simple. Reserve before leaving, call as instructed when after arrival, meet the van at the designated place, and ride to the hotel. There has been no problem of any kind with the billing. The person who answers the telephone speaks good English so there is no problem understanding where to meet the van. In a phrase: I got the service as advertised.
Some of the passengers the last time I rode paid cash, in French francs.
When I ride again, it will be in euros.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Peg

I have also used the services of Airport Shuttle and will again tomorrow. I always pre-pay with credit card so I don't have to find an ATM at the airport. Great service and have never had a problem with billing.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Alice

Let me add a small detail to the process to eliminate frustration I experienced (due to being in-experienced!). When you go to the 'pay'phone to call the Shuttle to say you have arrived, you do not need any coins or calling card. However - to get the call to go through, you must push a little button somewhere in the lower half of the face of the phonebox that is labeled something like "sans carte". Otherwise, the call never connects. We used Paris Shuttle several trips and paid with francs nearly everytime.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Peg

Alice, I've never seen a button on the phone saying "sans carte". I just pick it up and dial the 800 number given. No problem. (But if I ever do have a problem, I'll check for "sans carte"! Merci.)

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:27 AM
xxx

We booked the shuttle online for a pickup from our Paris hotel. We entered our credit card number and received a confirmation, which we printed out and carried with us.

On the advice of a fellow traveler on this site, we called the day before we were scheduled to leave Paris, just to confirm everything. The shuttle service claimed they had no record of us and I had to give my credit card number over the phone.

The shuttle did indeed show up on time the next day, but only thanks to the Fodorite who advised us that we confirm once in Paris. Apparently, the exact same thing happened to her. Allow plenty of time to get to the airport too, because the shuttle stops frequently and at length to pick up other passengers, and will wait for them if they're not ready!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Alice

It stumped me the first time, so I went to the USAir cust serv desk... a coworker went a month after me and had the same problem, only the shuttle operator fussed at her, saying "you poosh zee leetle booton! (you stupid tourist)" (one has to laugh). So the next time I went, I paid more attention and indeed there was a 'leetle booton' on the pay phone. There may be different phone banks in the two terminals... well, anyway the shuttle is very convenient and the best choice as far as I am concerned (especially when the hubby has used his hard-side golf case as his suitcase!)

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Donna

I am sooooooo glad I read this post--I never would have known to poosh zee leetle booton, and would have stood there like a doofus!!!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Betsy

I used cash once and a credit card another time; no problems with either. Never "pooshed ze button."

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Alice

I'm gonna have to pay attention next time, to see if it depends at which terminal the flight arrives...can't remember now. I'd start doubting myself if it wasn't for the other lady in my office who had the same problem! Oh well, still like using the Shuttle...

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Mare

We used one of the airport shuttle services two years ago. I wish I could remember the name, because I would like to avoid using the same service when we go to Paris this spring.

We paid by credit card on the internet, and the trip to the hotel was without incident. However, the trip from the hotel back to the airport was a disaster. The driver would not accept our receipt as proof of payment, and made us pay again in cash. We did so only because we had to catch our plane. (Although we had allowed four hours, the shuttle ride took forever because they picked up so many people. Some of these people weren't ready when the shuttle arrived at their hotel, and we sat and waited for them for quite a while.)

We called the shuttle company from the airport. Fortunately, they did refund the extra money to our credit card. I would be very leary abour paying in advance again.