Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Did you ever get THIS close to departing for your European adventure to find that you might not be able to go?

Search

Did you ever get THIS close to departing for your European adventure to find that you might not be able to go?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whine, Whine, Whine ~ I may need to have some wine.

My wonderful darling DH, is in a meeting right now that will decide our destiny, lol.

Ok, it's nothing quite that dramatic, lol, but we are 43 days outside of our departure date, and we may not be leaving. DH has been offered an excellent opportunity for a new position, huge security for us and increase in pay. They have given us the 'no problem' in way of our already planned & booked vacation to Italy, but my responsible, loyal and dedicated DH thinks that it might not be the best time to leave (He would start the new position Jan 2, and we are scheduled to leave Jan, 25th.)

I agree with him, I don't want his start there is be painful and leaving just as you have begun may not be prudent. We discussed it last night and I fully support his decision if we can't go. I mean this IS a great opportunity professionally speaking, and I told him, "If we can't go, we can't go, no worries, baby, I just want this transition to be as smooth as possible for you."

Oooooooooooooooooooooh but we were so close! LOL.

We'll see what comes of this final meeting today, he is in it right now, Oh my!

Has this ever happened to you? If so, man oh man, I feel for ya!

With my fingers crossed, Tiff
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Oh, Tiff...what great, yet disheartening news. My fingers are crossed that something gets worked out so that you can still go on your trip, as planned, and your hubby will fall right in line with his new position.

Congrats to him!

Keep us posted.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM

No, this hasn't happened to me, but I have had to cancel trips because of deaths and other unpleasant events, so look on the bright side and appreciate that if this trip is canceled it will at least be for positive reasons.

Good luck - sounds as though either way you have something to look forward to!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Twice, Tiff. In 2002, when DH was hospitalized for a few days two weeks before our departure for a six weeks European holiday. We did go as scheduled, just took it easy the first few days.

And then last year, a week before another long European holiday, Mom had major surgery. She pulled through and thanks for other siblings, we were able to go as planned. However, we purchased a pay-as-you go cell phone so that we are within reach at all times.

I hope you get to go.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Or you could just ask him what he'd like you to bring back.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I am in the same boat right now, except ours is passport problems. We leave the 16th, and kids' passports are still in the system. We have had no end of problems getting them, even though we applied in plenty of time. It has been a little tense! Hope yours works out well, I am with the last person, ask him what you can bring him back!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would encourage you to still go on the vacation since the new company is willing!! I think it sets a good precident when people honor their obligations made prior to accepting the new employment (especially an obligation as important as a trip to Italy).
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM

That was harsh, Christina. No call for rudeness.

Tiff, I am getting close to possibly experiencing the same thing so I can ALMOST relate!

I have a 23 day trip planned for Thailand in Feb. At the same time I have an 80% chance to become a project manager and trainer for a company I worked for 5 years ago. If this does all come together they will need me the first week of Jan. They know that I am going to Thailand but I don't think they realize it is for most of Feb.

It is a tough predicament to be in, especially when all flights and accomodations are paid for.

I feel for you!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM
ira

Hi Tiff,

My sympathies. However, Europe will be there in Jan, 2007.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:38 AM
ira

Hi fiesty1,

>We leave the 16th, and kids' passports are still in the system. We have had no end of problems getting them, even though we applied in plenty of time. <

Call your Member of Congress. 2006 is an election year.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM

I was once on the plane to London, buckled in, with the plane still at the gate. A stewardess came over and informed me that my work called and that my trip had to be delayed and possibly canceled.

I was able to go the next afternoon, but boy was I bummed that first day.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM

If I were in your husband's shoes, I would base my decision on whether the company pursued me, or I pursued the company for employment. If the company initially pursued your husband, and since your husband disclosed that a vacation was planned in advance of the offer, and so soon into his new position, then if I were in his shoes, I would take the vacation, especially since it will be early on into his employment. The company has agreed to this, and it is part of the negotiation process. You also may have non-refundable deposits and airfare, or penalties for cancellations that can be expensive.

Could your husband delay his start date until after you return from your vacation?

Taking a vacation would be a great way to celebrate your husband's new endeavors. He would also be starting a job refreshed and without any stress or responsibilities for projects, etc. that he is involved with.

If, however, your husband pursued this company for employment, then if I were in his shoes, I might consider postponing the vacation, but, it wouldn't hold me back from taking the planned vacation since the vacation was already disclosed during the interview process.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM

First of all congratulations to your dear DH, but I dont see why you can't go by yourself and have a great time.

If you have a good relationship your DH would be happy about your going and perhaps, deep in his heart, it would not feel guilty about cancelling the trip and not giving you an opportunity to enjoy your great European adventure.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Tiff, congratulations on your DH's new job. I hope you both get to Italy soon.

This past June, <i>three</i> days before we were supposed to fly to London to select housing for our July relocation, my husband got offered his dream job at another firm. It was a crazy couple of weeks but everything worked out for the best as I'm sure it will for you too.

Coincidentally, we had a trip to Paris booked for late June to celebrate my 40th birthday which we still took.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Tiff, I feel your pain! My mom and I had planned and booked a mother-daughter weekend in St. Augustine, FL (Not Europe but still a trip!) this past September. Unfortunately my grandmother (my mom's mother) because very ill and passed away so we had to cancel the trip. Needless to say neither of us were in the mood to vacation.

On the bright side, I called travelocity.com to cancel. I had non-refundable tickets and I didn't expect a refund of any kind (I booked a air + hotel package) so imagine my surprise when, about a month later, my mom and I both received vouchers for a future flight on AA. We are now planning on going somewhere in the spring.

I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully congrats will be in store for your husband AND you will be able to celebrate in Italy!

Christina, the rudeness was quite unnecessary. If you are as concerned about others dying perhaps your down time could be put to better use than posting on a travel board and accusing others of not caring.

Tracy
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM

People negotiate preplanned vacations all the time! Of course your husband knows best, but maybe he's being too consciencious.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh my Alan ~ I can't believe you were actually buckeled in and had to stop the trip, what a drag!

StCirc &amp; baby2, I am so sorry you loved ones pass away &amp; illnesses that prevented you from your journey. You have my heart on that one.

Kismetchimera ~ You so very right, I could still go and it is with sincere good wishes that he would still want me to go, but we planned this trip together, we had a personal loss, and wanted to be away sometime around the holidays, I don't know I guess planning something special helped us look ahead. I have no desire to go without my him, even though I know he would support it. I have been to Italy once before so I would rather wait until we may enjoy her together. Italy will be there to greet us when we're ready again!

Fiesty &amp; Eurotraveller, I so hope everything works out for you, too!

Ira ~ You are very right, in fact, when I reacted so pleasantly, my DH said, if we have to cancel, we can plan the trip for a longer duration the next time if I want to. Lol, many key upsides to being a supportive spouse, ha.

Tcreath ~ I am glad you received such good news after such a difficult time, I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Now you both can go and enjoy yourselves, good for American, I love a happy ending! Let us know how your trip goes, and you are right, a trip is still a trip, no matter the destination.

Good tips all! Although it indeed a job change, it is still within the same industry and yes, Leslie, he was pursued, so they did agree when this all began, etc. I'll let him decide, like i said above, whichever way it falls, I support him.

Mvor ~ Wow, very similar circumstances! I am glad it worked out well for you!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM

There is absolutely nothing more delicious than a good cat fight!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:22 PM

I would go on vacation if I were your husband. Your employer didn't say that you can't say (and, in fact, it sounds like they fully support your decision to go on vacation).

It actually seems to me like he's creating an artificial problem.

If he's taking this job so seriously, nothing is better than taking a vacation now. If he doesn't take it now, I'm not sure when he'll have the chance to take another one. It sounds like a demanding position if he's concerned about vacations.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
The good news is that if you postpone for awhile the Italians will have more time to replenish the wine supply from our last trip. There wasn't much left.

Do you have to go in January each year? Maybe you could reschedule for the Fall when it's warmer anyway or even next Spring. In any event and whenever you go, I am sure you will both have a wonderful time. Congrats to your husband on the new position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -