Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Did anyone ski /visit Sierra Nevada region of Spain during the Christmas/New Year Season?

Did anyone ski /visit Sierra Nevada region of Spain during the Christmas/New Year Season?

Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm planning next year's holiday trip already - that's what happens when you use frequent flyer miles!

My family will be based in Marbella from December 26 - January 3. My 13-year old niece has never seen snow because we live in Florida; I thought of taking in a day in the Sierra Nevada ski resort area to give her an opportunity to experience true winter weather. We won't ski, but perhaps we will sled or just ride some of the cable cars, etc.

We have plenty of sightseeing already built into the trip (Granada, Ronda, Nerja, etc.). I have three options with reference to Sierra Nevada:

1) Visit the ski resort area on New Year's Day itself since most places will be closed on this day, and this will give us something to do. Will the crowds be immense on January 1st? (I've read of hours-long waits for cable cars, lack of parking, traffic, etc. during the Christmas holidays in the ski resort area.)

2) If New Year's Day is inadvisable, I can probably delete Jerez from our itinerary. I'd planned on seeing the famous dancing horses, and taking in a few bodegas. Is Jerez a "must see"?

3) We can skip Sierra Nevada altogether. She's got the rest of her life to see snow!

I welcome all suggestions!

As always, thanks in advance.

-Chels
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Topping in hopes of a response.

Thanks,
Chels
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM

The Sierra Nevada had some snow in late January/early February, but it was not a prime ski season. There was some snow in November, but winter came late this year. The weather in Granada was cool at night, but bright and sunny, in the 60ís during the day.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Chels-

We are planning the same event for our children as a reward for a week of seeing old churches etc. Did you make it to the ski slope? Was it crowded? Could it be done in a 1/2 day (assuming we start in Granada)? Thanks

dacindc
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM

dacindc -

We were in Spain last December and I looked into spending a day at the one big ski resort in the Sierra Nevada. (My kids thought it would be cool to say the snowboarded in Spain.) I found it really difficult to get any information, but unless you hire a car to take you there and back, I think it would be a challenge to do it in a 1/2 day. We ended up not going. My husband was really disappointed, but I just couldn't make it fit into our schedule. The other thing was that the kids (19 and 15) didn't bring snowboarding clothes along, since we really packed light. No big mitts, socks, waterproof pants, jackets, etc. I don't mean to discourage you. I would be very interested to hear what arrangements you make and how it all goes if you do it.

I also looked into the indoor ski resort in Madrid. "The 17-storey Parque de Nieve, or Snow Park, is the centerpiece of the Madrid Xanadu, an enormous new shopping and leisure centre. The 250-metre-long slope is the largest indoor snow-sports facility in Europe." You can Google it to find more information.

There are also a couple of small ski areas in the mountains north of Madrid near Segovia.

Will you be in Spain during Christmas? How old are your children?
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

I'm also having trouble getting information, it does make me a little bit nervous. We will have a car which should help with the timing. We have never gone skiing/snowboarding before, so we would have to rent them everything. (After many years of slipping on ice and snow, I have no intention of getting anywhere near it on purpose.) We actually arrive the day after Christmas. My kids will be 14 & 16. I didn't know about the indoor park. Since we will be flying back from Madrid if all else fails I might look at the indoor park.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM

If you have never skiied before I do not suggest trying to do all that, the rental.. "How does it feel?.. the rules, regulations, instruction, the clothes, etc. Skiing is a fun but exhausting sport for newbies, starting at getting dressed for it and dealing with the cumbersome equipment.

You can take a drive to see the snow.. or go up there and perhaps sled somewhere nearby, but I would not take a day of my vacation to "try skiing" in Spain.

There shold be some sort of public transportation up to the hill during the season. Your hotel can inform you.

The Madrid indoor park is outide the city quite a ways.. but also connected with public transportation.

Here is a website for sierra nevada

http://www.cetursa.es/

Hope this helps
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM

Even if you have a car you may not be allowed to go to it. The Guardia Civil (Police) will stop you if they think snow chains are needed and you do not have any.
I would back up lincasanova's suggestion and use public transport.