Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Did anyone ever meet a soulmate/lover/partner while on vacation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/did-anyone-ever-meet-a-soulmate-lover-partner-while-on-vacation-263247/)

Renee Oct 4th, 2002 10:04 AM

Did anyone ever meet a soulmate/lover/partner while on vacation?

Feeling in a sentimental mood right now...and wondering if anyone has ever met a life partner during their travels? Please share! I know...valentine's day is a long way off.<BR><BR>Renee

que sera Oct 4th, 2002 11:21 AM

sigh ... a romantic notion that's yet to come to fruition ...<BR><BR>

x Oct 4th, 2002 11:26 AM

Well, not a life partner, but I will (anonymously) confess to "hooking up" with an Italian bus driver on vacation 2 years ago. Yes, I was single and not dating at the time, and he was really cute. He took me dancing all night and showed me around Sorrento, it was a great night.

xxx Oct 4th, 2002 11:30 AM

While visiting a nearby city for a weekend while still in college, I saw a handsome man across a circular bar and got up the nerve to go over and start a conversation. After a few hours conversation, he invited me over to his place for the night. We've now been life partners for 35 years. Yes, we're both men, if that makes any difference.

xxx Oct 4th, 2002 11:39 AM

Travelled to Spain a few years ago. Met a Portuguese man there and fell in love.

xxx Oct 4th, 2002 12:03 PM

well, x, I see you are curious about my "alternate lifestyle" but didn't realize I was so loud in proclaiming it. Our second date was like most people. He called the next day and said he had a wonderful time. He asked me out for dinner the following weekend.

another x Oct 4th, 2002 12:11 PM

Dear first x,<BR>You go girl, I've never seen so many gorgeous bus drivers as in Italy! I got scared reading your post, thinking we have the same driver : ) but yours was Sorrento and mine was in Tuscany!

Anon4this Oct 4th, 2002 12:21 PM

I'm really interested too. I always manage to have more than my share of temporary romances (with locals) while traveling. But it never lasts more than a couple of phone calls and emails. I'd like to know what the secret is! Maybe it's me, I think of myself as just the flavor-of-the-day-tourist to them, and deny that it could be more. Or maybe I am just the flavor-of-the-day!

xxx Oct 4th, 2002 01:57 PM

<BR><BR>One evening a few years ago, when I was staying a hotel in France, one of the most lovely young women I have ever set eyes on was talking to the manager. I would have loved to have asked her out for dinner or a drink but, being shy, did not. The next day, I asked the manager who this young woman was and found out it was his daughter.

Anon4this Oct 4th, 2002 02:22 PM

Italian, you have a good point there. In Italy, American women (present company included) are charmed by guys they wouldn't give a second look to back home. Give a guy a foreign accent and suddenly he's a god!

Danna Oct 4th, 2002 05:45 PM

Teen trip, teen love on Bornholm Island, Denmark. Flash forward 6 years and my mom calls my office, "someone to talk to you." Teen love is on the phone, at my mom's house, with his younger brother on a USA tour. Well, he and his brother stayed at my (and hubby's house) for 3 days. Very odd, very fun, we don't send Holiday cards tho! I do think back on both encounters with warmth and smiles.

no name Oct 4th, 2002 07:05 PM

On a trip to Morocco about 10 years ago I met , fell in love with and married the brother of a friend of mine. Unfortunately the illusions and magically moments that take place on moonlight beaches doed not last when the reality of real life sets in.<BR> I came out of the fog, divorced the leech and met and married a wonderful man. Who is firmly entrenched in the real world.

love spanish bus Oct 4th, 2002 07:11 PM

Funny about the bus drtivers...... I saw some GORGEOUS ones in southern Spain back in the 80's . Did n't have a rendez-vous, but great eye candy!!

bitsy Oct 6th, 2002 06:20 AM

Topping!

Gretchen Oct 6th, 2002 06:35 AM

Daughter did--they will celebrate their 4th anniversary next week.

topper Oct 6th, 2002 07:58 AM

ttt

SR Oct 6th, 2002 08:00 AM

Many years ago while traveling from Germany to Paris I met a very handsome Frenchman on the train..we clicked immediately and stayed in Paris together..it was heaven...never saw him again...I've had so many wonderful adventures that come into my head from time to time...nothing like sensual memories....

Topper Oct 8th, 2002 10:01 PM

Topping for Lori.<BR><BR>What fun....

Betty Oct 9th, 2002 06:29 AM

Met my husband in Acapulco, Mexico in 1970. We have been married for thirty-two years this November! We were both from the US and on vacation. We have two daughters and one grandaughter. We enjoy traveling and are leaving for a two week trip to Italy and France next week.

Heidi Oct 9th, 2002 06:48 AM

Met my British husband while we were both on vacation in Prague. We've been married for three years, and it has been full of travel, laughs, and romance. I loved to travel before, but I love it even more now that I have the right person to share the experience.