Garmische/Mittenwald/Oberammagau where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to stay two nights June in this area so we have access to Mittenwald, maybe Fussen area castles, Garmische, and other towns. Can anyone recommend where to stay? Is Mittenwald a good place to stay or would Garmische be better? Would like the authentic bavarian atmosphere. We would like to be in town so we can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. Need parking and not the train station. Would like to stay under $150 per night. We are late 40's and we are not part of the hiking/outdoors contingent, but may take a hike if we feel like it.

Any recommendations for hotels? Thanks
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM

all three are very Bavarian but Oberammergau is not nearly in as mountainous areas as the other two - better hiking IMO in other two.

I stayed in Garmisch and there is a huge American GI presence in the area so maybe Mittenwald is more Bavarian thru and thru

Each has tons of cozy guesthouses at prices far lower than you want however.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM

hI
We stayed in Partenkirchen 2 yrs. ago It was agreat location for us. we intended to stay 1 or 2 nights but stayed 4 instead. We daytripped to Schloss Linderhof, Ettal and Mittenwald. All were very interesting and beautiful. We stayed at the Mercure and they were very friendly and helpdul. They gave us great directions on taking the back roads to these towns. As a suggestion, I used the Fodors Germany 2006 guide and found it exremely helpful, with good maps, planning etc.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Hi Cindywho,

I spent a month in Mittenwald and loved the little village -- it has a wonderful cobbled pedestrian-only main street lined with cafes and shops. There are two hotels on this street, a 3-star called the Alpenrose and a 4-star called the Post. Both would be wonderful experiences I think (both have parking from the back side of the hotel, which is on a street).

Garmisch is nice, but a lot bigger -- more traffic, noise, & crowds.

Good luck!

s
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate toppiing this thread - but it is the only way to post the info.

<b>PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD</b>

Cindywho: your title is too long w/o any spaces so it messes up the thread list. Titles do not wrap.

It would be best if you started a new thread w/ spaces in your title and let this one sink off the first page.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM

ttt
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Cindywho,
I'd stay in Mittenwald. It's one of our favorites. Beautiful Bavarian village with a gorgeous mountain backdrop. If you want to spend a lot less, we stayed twice (including last year) at Pension Schwalbennestl. It's a very nice place with great views of Mittenwald and the mountains, a very nice woman (Frau Bader) owns/runs it, a very good buffet breakfast and parking. You can walk to the old town pedestrian zone from here.

www.schwalbennestl.de

You can correspond in English even though the website is only in German.

Our photos of the Schwalbennestl, Mittenwald and area are at...

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul