Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Devon/Cornwall to Canterbury (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/devon-cornwall-to-canterbury-54362/)

tom Williams Oct 5th, 1999 01:04 PM

Devon/Cornwall to Canterbury

Leaving Oct 11, driving from London to Lands End, Via Bath & Salisbury, then accross the southern areas to Canterbury. total 8 days <BR>Need to know quaint villages, attractions, and accommodations at small Hotels or B&B's <BR>Been to other parts of England many times.

Karen Oct 5th, 1999 01:25 PM

Bovey Tracey, Devon has a wonderful B&B, Front Street Guest House with hosts, Gail and Ian Campbell...they are great!! The Rumblin'Tum restaurant is a very short walk and has absolutely wonderful food.

Karen Oct 5th, 1999 01:26 PM

Bovey Tracey, Devon has a wonderful B&B, Front Street Guest House with hosts, Gail and Ian Campbell...they are great!! The Rumblin'Tum restaurant is a very short walk and has absolutely wonderful food.

Jeff Oct 5th, 1999 03:48 PM

Hi Tom, <BR> I think Cornwall is the most beautiful part of England. My favorite B&B is the Trebrea Lodge in the villiage of Trenale just outside of Tintagel. Tintagel Castle is a great place for Arthurian lore and the ruin is quite impressive. Another one of my favorite Cornish villages is Port Isaac. If you go there park your car at the top and walk down. I made the mistake of driving down the road to the village. I had to back up the hill almost a half-mile to let a car pass because there is no where to turn around. If you get a chance and like ancient landmark see some of the dolmens. (i.e. Lanyon Quoit, Mulfra Quoit, Zennor Quoit) Another neat place to visit is the Minack Theatre. Their season has ended, but it's an interesting place to see. It's only a few miles from Lands End in the village of Porthcurno. Another beautiful town is St. Ives. If you get a chance go to the Tate Museum. If your staying in Lands End, I have enjoyed the Lands End Hotel. <BR> This spring when I was in Cornwall I took a helicopter ride to the Isle of Tresco in the Scilly Isles. It is definitely worth a day trip. The Abbey Gardens are beautiful! <BR> In Bath have tea at the Pump House and dinner at Sally Lunn's and definitely have a Sally Lunn bun with clotted cream and jam. Bath is a great place to relax and take long walks. Also while in Bath, drive to the town of Bradford on Avon, it's a very historic place. <BR> I imagine you'll want to visit Stonehenge. It is worth seeing, but I recommend Avebury over Stonehenge. You can walk right up to the stones and it is definitely an interesting place. <BR> When in Bath do not miss Castle Coombe and spend some time driving through the Cotswolds. <BR> Unfortunately, I can't comment on Canterbury. I have traveled through it, but have not spent any time there. I hope this helps. If you'd like any other specifics, feel free to e-mail me.

Linda Oct 5th, 1999 04:30 PM

My dad lives in North Devon and when we visit we almost always head to Boscastle. It is only a short drive up the coast from Tintagel (mentioned in a previous reply). Boscastle is a natural harbour with walks up the coastpaths on either side of the harbour to the cliffs. We like the left path as you're heading towards the sea. It is a beautiful walk. There is a great little pub, also on the left hand side of the road just before you reach the harbour. If the weather is nice you can cross a small bridge and eat outside beside the stream. From Boscastle to Land's End along the Cornish coast the scenery is spectacular and all of the villages are quite quaint. St Ives is nice, miss Newquay though. Hope you have fun!