Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Devon advice for beaches etc (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/devon-advice-for-beaches-etc-712425/)

smittenkitten Jun 12th, 2007 12:50 AM

Devon advice for beaches etc

Hello

Looking at a driving holiday this year with my little 1 1/2 year old starting off at Longleat animal farm (as I won tickets!) and staying in Yeovil for a night. then driving to Bodmin and visiting the Eden Project. This is the furthest I want to go into Cornwall as have been there quite a bit in my younger days!

However have always missed Devon out

* I am after really nice beaches little one has never seen the sea or walked on sand so somewhere nice.
* heading back towards torquay way would like the south coast although have been reading that Clovelly is nice to visit too.
* Child friendly actitivties do see or do.
and any other advice....

All your help is appreciated.
xxx

kleeblatt Jun 12th, 2007 12:58 AM

Hi smittenkitten,

I did a bit of Devon last summer. Here are some bits of my trip report. I recommend Northern Burrows near Appledore for a very nice, long sandy beach with shells, kites and the like.

Appledore

We drove a bit through Exmoor along the A39, admiring the wide open spaces and wondering who Lorna Doone was. We passed Barnstaple and went right into Appledore. Appledore is a fishing village on the mouth of the Torridge River as it enters Barnstaple Bay. It’s not commercialized and you won’t find many restaurants. We parked the car on the river side of Appledore, knowing that when we come back, it will be full of seagull droppings… there were so many flying around! We walked through the narrow alleys and were suddenly thinking: are we in England or Greece? The blue buildings and alleys, the heat and the lack of noise, made us compare it to the tiny alleys of Santorini and Naxos. We had a coffee and a pot of tea in a tiny café to escape the heat. Yup, hot drinks will do it everytime.

Northern Burrows

We continued our drive towards Westward ho! and got a bit lost. At an intersection, we asked a very attractive middle-aged man directions. He advised us to visit the Northern Burrows. It’s the oldest golf course in England and one of the few places where golfers golf among cows, sheep and ponies. A quick right and there we were! We didn’t have to pay admission because it was after 6.00 pm. We drove along the flat ground and were amazed at the beauty and serenity of it all. There really were animals grazing among tee offs (which were roped off). We parked our car in front of a long wall of beautiful pushed up rocks. We walked over them carefully, hoping not to twist an ankle, and met a long sandy beach being caressed by waves. Walking quite a distance, we cooled off our feet in the water and then walked back over the natural wall of rocks. I wish we could have taken some of those beautifully polished rocks with us for my garden.

Clovelly

We continued our drive to Clovelly not knowing what to expect of this village. Clovelly is pronounced cloVELLY. We arrived at the empty parking lot after 7.00 pm. Empty? We were confused. This was supposed to be a major sight. We walked by the admissions entrance. What? Pay for a village? We later found out this village was privately owned. Since we arrived after opening hours, we could walk freely down to the village. It was a downhill walk on a cobblestone lane that does not allow cars. The village is white with many thatched roof houses. It’s not commercialized (except for the entrance fee), but it’s situated on a steep slope with a main street and a side street. The streets lead down to the coast. The houses are small and many have English gardens in front of them. It really is beautiful and not big at all. I think we saw two restaurants and no tacky souvenir shops. The road is so steep that village inhabitants use makeshift sleds to transport their goods from their cars to their homes. We saw many of these sleds parked in front of the doors. This village is not for people with walking problems. It’s steep. They do have land rovers that will take you from the entrance to the bottom, but you’ll be taken down a side road and won’t see the main village at all.

The best thing about Clovelly was that there were no tourists. None. People don’t come here after closing hours, except for a few confused souls like us. We walked down to the coastline and had a nice dinner in the restaurant. I had a potato jacket with cheese and my friend had fish and chips. We drank at least two glasses of yummy English cider (not alcohol free) and spoke with the locals. It was a great way to end the evening. We walked back up through the empty streets of Clovelly, again marvelling at the serenity and beauty and commenting on how glad we came at this time of the evening.

bellini Jun 12th, 2007 01:09 AM

We like Bantham Beach. Just along the coast from Bigbury on Sea with Burgh Island in the bay with its Art Deco Hotel (very Noel Coward/Agatha Christie) and big wheeled tractor which takes people across to the island at high tide. If you make for Plymouth from Bodmin, then take the Kingsbridge rd (A379) you'll find Bantham off that road. Big car park with 100 metres walk to broad expanse of sand and shallow sea for paddling.

londonengland Jun 12th, 2007 04:16 AM

For the north of Devon try Putsborough Sands with its 3 miles of beaches or Saunton Sands. For the south I agree with Bellini's suggestion

Enjoy Devon - it's a beautiful place

londonengland Jun 12th, 2007 04:17 AM

Oh and if your plans over Yeovil are still flexible - consider staying in the charming village of Evershot in the middle of Thomas Hardy country

janisj Jun 12th, 2007 04:47 AM

I third Bantham beach. I rented a cottage for a week about 2 or 3 miles from there and it is a lovely area.

julia_t Jun 12th, 2007 05:16 AM

And here's a 4th vote for Bantham!

smittenkitten Jun 28th, 2007 12:13 AM

We have booked a weeks holiday in south devon 6 miles away from Bantham in a cottage/house with helpful holidays. looks lovely. so we can spend a day at torquay and if it is a rainy day travel all the way to the eden project.also go to Bantham and surrounding areas, really looking forward to it. thanks for all your suggestions