Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Deutsche Alpenstrasse - Berchtesgaden to Fussen

Jul 13th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Gwen

I am trying to figure out the driving distance and estimated driving time from Berchtesgaden to Fussen via the Deutsche Alpenstrasse. For one of the legs of our trip in August, we will be driving from a "home base" on the outskirts of Salzburg to a "home base" near Fussen and are interested in travelling via the portion of the Alpenstrasse between Berchtesgaden & Fussen (I think B'gaden is where that route starts?). However, I am not sure how realistic this is, from a distance and time point of view, to cover this route in a day. Can anyone give me any feedback on this route? Thanks in advance!

Jul 14th, 2001, 07:53 AM
wes fowler

Gwen,
I suppose its feasible to drive from Berchtesgaden to Fussen via the Deutsches Alpenstrasse in a day's time (it's about 375kms or 240 miles) but I certainly wouldn't want to, simply because I'd be missing too many glorious sights on the way. On those occasions when I've driven the route I've usually taken two or three days to do so. Why? So as not to miss the panoramic view from Wendelstein, the Benedictine Abbey in Ettal, Ludwig's castle Linderhof, the village of Oberammergau, the monastic church in Rottenbuch and the jewel of Pfaffenwinkel, the Wieskirche in Steingaden. Far too much to see and enjoy than to drive past.

The drive might be feasible if, once in Fussen, you'll be devoting a day or two to backtrack to capture the sights you've passed by.

Jul 14th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Gwen

Thank you for your comments, Wes. We seriously considered an overnight stop along the Alpenstrasse, but since we are trying to minimize packing/unpacking and don't want to do any 1 night stays anywhere, we are using a "home base" method instead - setting up in an area for 3 or 4 nights and visiting the surrounding areas from there. I suppose I should have specified that we will be basing ourselves near Fussen (Hohenschwangau, actually) for 3 days, and from there I have already planned to visit the Ettal Monastery, Linderhof, Oberammergau and Wieskirche (along with Ludwig's castles and some other things) - although I haven't worked out a day to day itinerary of what to schedule for each day yet. I must admit my ignorance of Wendelstein and the church in Rottenbuch - could you tell me a bit about these?

I am really just looking for a scenic route to get us from Salzburg to Fussen within a reasonable amount of time, with a few stops for anything interesting along the way, or just to gawk at the Alps. Does that change your opinion? Or would you recommend another route to get from Salzburg to Fussen?

Jul 14th, 2001, 01:31 PM
wes fowler

Gwen,
There is another routing, not quite as scenic but encompassing about half as many miles and a bit over three hours drive time (about 140 miles as opposed to 240 miles). Drop me an Email at the above address; I can give you the routing and also some itineraries that will encompass all you hope to see from your home base as well as a few sites and sights you may not have considered.

Jul 14th, 2001, 01:38 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Gwen, Be sute to do that--Wes knows that area very well. Good luck !