Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Detifoss - east or west ? A lot of spray water?

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to be there with toyota rav4 or similair during july. I do not have experience with 4x4. I wonder if I should go east or west side?
- the west side has better wide view and seems more dramatic with best pics, am I right?
- I have read too much water spray in west upper platform and people completely socked with water. Will also be a lot of water spray in west bottom platform? As taking pics with smartphone. Is west side actually more dramatic and photogenic?
- I understand selfoss looks a little better in east but Hljóðaklettar can be reached from west side only? It looks as must place. Asbyrgi not look must to me
How the road to Hljóðaklettar?
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 02:01 PM

We did the east side and felt that was a much better option with views and significantly fewer people. There was plenty of area to hike around as well. The road is rough, but as long as you go slow you will be fine. We had a Land Cruiser and still went slow, but had no issues. It felt like we were on the moon, which was a sight in itself, and we all were happy we chose the east side, FWIW.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 04:57 AM

Go on the west side, better roads (very good) access to both Hljóðaklettar and Ásbyrgi (both are absolute MUST) and can be reached from Tjörunes Peninsula via Húsavík or from Mývatn. Making it a daytour from Akureyri or while traveling between Akureyri and Egilsstaðir would be my advice. Off course staying in the area makes it less stressful.

4x4 is not needed to any of these destinations in July and renting one is obscenely costly. If you want to go into the highlands then 4x4 is a must. Make sure you rent one that is allowed to go the F-roads (mountain roads)
Dettifoss is the most powerful waterfall in North Europe, water spray is logically present on both sides and heavily depending on wind force and direction. Wear appropriate clothes and problem solved. You get closer on the east side to the falls with means more water spray. When it comes to Photogenic you can not go wrong no matter witch side, more people go to the west side so be there early morning or late evening (it is bright day and night) also getting soaked is part of the adventure and experience especially if not dressed appropriately.

I have been on both sides of Dettifoss many times, you cannot go wrong no matter witch side you choose.