Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Destination Wedding- Amalfi or Lake Como in early November??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!
We are beginning to plan our November 2023 wedding and are torn between Lake Como or Amalfi-specifically Positano. This would take place the second week of November. We are planning on having 10-20 family/friends join us and want it to be a fun experience for everyone. However, we are worried about 1. it being off season and many things being closed and 2. the possibility of there being bad weather. We were originally set on Positano, but after reading more into it, we thought it may not be the best idea and began considering Lake Como. Has anyone been to either of these regions during this time period and/or have advice?
Thanks!

Last edited by alisonm1997; Jan 26th, 2022 at 06:27 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes, i'd not do it.

I organised my own wedding in Puglia in late September, it was ok but really too late for what we were trying for. November and further north no.

If you want details chase my name back to 2013 or ask for info
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this an official wedding or a symbolic ceremony? An official wedding involves a lot of paperwork.

Could you move it even a week earlier? You risk iffy weather anywhere in mid-November, but I know Taormina (Sicily) is still fairly lively through the first week of November.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

It would be a symbolic ceremony. We were wanting to keep this date since it is our anniversary already. Have you heard anything about Florence/Tuscany during this time of year?
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:56 AM

DD had hers in Venice......magical.....really just beautiful. It was as wonderful as it was because we used a local wedding planner.....not sure how we would have done it without them.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Sounds lovely! What time of year did they have it in Venice?
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 08:05 AM

The wedding was at the beginning of October.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 08:13 AM

I'm not sure if this helps but
https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/italy
Milan/Florence/Venice are all in the north and are cold if not wet in November
Sicily/Puglia are in the south but are also poor weather in November but generally slightly better. But I've had snow in Sicily in November.

If you want to do this thing in November, then do it indoors or with a quick dash outside for the photo op.

If it is not official then no paperwork. But do get a local party planner for you and for your guests, it would be a drag to do this thing and have to organise it. Prices will be better in November as there will be less work around. You will pay lots for Venice/Florence/Pisa compared to places in the south. I have friends who were married in Siena (near Florence) and it was a big bill.

Find a castle with good views and a grand entrance and go for it. I'd do it at a spa so people can get pampered during. Tuscany would be good if you have the dosh

https://castle-hotels-guide.com/tuscany/
if you have not got the money look at www.agriturismo.it in your area of choice. Tell them what you want exactly and ask for a price. Many places will go quiet but for say 4 nights and 20 people they might pull the stops out.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jan 26th, 2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! I will look into these options
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 08:33 AM

Just 'cause I was bored, Castello di Gargonza will charge you roughly £7500 for 10 rooms for 4 nights. They do wedding parties and you'll want transfers, wine tastings, things to do but the site is special. Agriturismo Campetroso in the middle of Tuscany would cost E65 a night per couple and they have a big restaurant.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jan 26th, 2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Our anniversary is in January, so we often have the same problem. We’ve been married over half a century and today I said to DH, why didn’t we just live together and wait until Spring to get married? He laughed and said, “Not back then.”
Anyway, This is blunt and realistic.

Both places are generally warm weather destinations. Amalfi Coast will be about 10 degrees warmer than Como in November, but still chilly and November is the rainiest month, plus most ferries have stopped running. It is not a good time for an event. Late September would be so much better. Even early October would be better.

Being outside, sunshine and flowers, trips on the water, dinner on a terrace or in a garden are all the things people love about the AC - in warm weather. Is that what you are envisioning? You and your guests will not likely have that experience in November. We have been to the AC several times, from Spring through Fall. We were wearing jackets sometimes by the end of October. We missed eating outside, evenings on a terrace looking at the water, etc. and it was not even November. Having to bring a jacket and a raincoat, walking up and down on wet, slippery steps, or having to be inside, etc. is really not an enjoyable experience in a place like the Amalfi Coast when you know how incredibly lovely it is in warm weather.

People do go in winter, for things like touring Pompeii, Naples, Herculaneum. They do not mind bundling up for hiking, but are not looking for flowers and sunny, picnic weather. They can be flexible, switching things around depending on the weather. .

You will have to plan everything for indoors. What is the point of going all the way to the AC and not getting any of the best things the AC is known for?
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 03:05 PM

DD got married in Italy in June, a few years ago. The village is on the borders of Lombardia and Emilia Romano. It is a small walled village with a hotel in it. She didn't use the hotel, but got married in the tiny, ancient church there, and used an agritourismo not far away. It will be cold at that time of year, and could be foggy or rainy. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 03:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IME anywhere except in very far southern Italy for a destination wedding in November would be a mistake. And as Bilboburgler says - even Sicily would be iffy. A 'destination wedding' would imply it is a destination the couple and all the guests would enjoy visiting. A city venue could be great -- Florence, or Rome or possibly Venice (though Venice can be very wet) where the ceremony and scheduled activities are indoors . . . but that doesn't sound like what you are aiming for. November is too early for a winter/snow/ski destination and much too late for a summer/beachy/outdoors destination.

IMO Either change the time of year, or change the focus to a more city-centric destination.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 03:51 AM

I looked at staying in a palace in Catania in November last year and seriously you can get a great deal on these places, but the weather.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 07:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have spent a lot of time on Lake Como. We were warned about fog and rain there in Nov and Dec by a local.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Is there anywhere you would recommend visiting this time of year?
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 06:22 AM

A city, with lots to do even in bad weather. A place like Rome or Florence is great to visit any time of the year. Or as Bilbo says a grand hotel with spa, but still you'd want to be near a city so you have something to do on other days. I don't know where you and your guests are from, but making them travel transatlantic for an off-season stay in a summer destination in November, will not be popular.
If it were me I'd go for the Hotel de Russie in Rome. Or Sting's villa in Tuscany - better in spring or summer, but maybe you'll get a good deal in November...
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 04:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have had great sunny, warm not hot weather in southern Spain, Andalusia in several November trips. Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada might be less risky than Italy. It is an interesting part of the world.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jan 31st, 2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 05:43 PM

Amalfi Coast - beautiful in November

I lived in northern Italy for 4 years -- I can tell you that you can have days / weeks of rain and fog (and smog in the cities) in November. Lake Como would be risky weather-wise. The Amalfi Coast could be absolutely beautiful in November. It is low tourist season then, so some hotels might not even be open -- but being low tourist season then whatever is open would be a much better deal, and you wouldn't have to deal with the masses of tourists, like during high season. (My friend recently went to the Amalfi Coast over Christmas and said it was magical and not crowded.) Years ago I stayed at Hotel Poseidon in Positano -- I dream of going back -- amazing place! (We like to travel to Tuscany in early Fall -- in October you can have some beautiful crystal clear and pleasant days -- maybe some rain too, but not as much as in northern Italy.) And as the Italians say, if it rains on your wedding day then it 'porta fortuna' -- brings you good luck. Best Wishes!
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 12:56 AM

SJCB, welcome to Fodors

https://www.positano.com/en/m/amalfi-coast-in-november

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -