Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   destination suggestions for European family vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/destination-suggestions-for-european-family-vacation-1659426/)

mgib Oct 21st, 2018 06:08 AM

destination suggestions for European family vacation

Our youngest child will be graduating high school in May. We take our kids (18, 20, & 22) on a fairly elaborate vacation when they graduate. Child #1 requested Italy, and Child #2 requested the BVI (we were there just two weeks before Hurricanes Irma & Maria). Child #3 is up next and is struggling on narrowing down her list

She is looking at Europe, but we are struggling to find a destination. My wife and I have traveled in Europe fairly extensively - England, Ireland, Germany, Spain, & Italy (several times). The kids have only been to Italy and Germany. We would like to hit a new destination.

We really love exploring old windy streets (Sienna and Venice are two of our favorites). Old churches and buildings intrigue us (we are Catholic, so Italy has a lot to choose from). We are all foodies, and love the long European meals. We will have about 9 days/8 nights - so we can hit a couple of destinations. Maybe two different bases during the trip - 3 to 4 nights in two different locations. We travel light, so packing up and flying/riding to a new spot isn't too difficult.

Child #3 liked the look of Amsterdam & Belgium (Bruges). She is also intrigued with France (Paris for part of trip - then maybe Colmar & Nice). I'm sure I'm overlooking several landing spots. I'm curious if you have any recommendations for us. Thanks in advance for the help.

bilboburgler Oct 21st, 2018 06:12 AM

Puglia maybe good for you
Alsace yes and maybe add in the Black forest across the border or go north to Trier and Mosel
Czech Republic including Prague, outside the capital it gets pretty , lots of castles etc
Portugal especially the old cities

KTtravel Oct 21st, 2018 09:40 AM

Paris and Amsterdam would make a great trip. Or Paris and exploring more of France - the Dordogne or Provence?

thibaut Oct 21st, 2018 09:56 AM

I'd choose somewhere down south, weather is not guaranteed in northern Europe.
Greece. You've never bee, cities are windy, old and full of churches. Not catholic though.
Turkey is also fabulous - Istanbul is fantastic.
Sicyly : splendid, old, great food and wine, windy. With some big cities (Palermo is spelndid)
Cyprus ? We love islands and spent lovely holidays there.
Corsica - not only are the cities windy, there is not one straight road.
Egypt ? Good weather in may, lots of history, good food, nice people.
Malta ? (never been myself).

jpie Oct 21st, 2018 10:22 AM

I think where for me would depend on the actual date. In July August you ccouldn't drag me near the Riviera/Nice area. If you go in June it is better but still crowded. I think most college age kids might be kind of bored in Nice, but that is just my opinion. Paris and Amsterdam make a nice trip together for the time you have-with maybe Brugges in between. I think with the limited time you have I wouldn't try to go too far afield-Paris to Nice for instance is a long way unless you fly. Another nice place that is only 2 hours from Paris by train now is Bordeaux. It is a small enough city that your kids could feel very independent if that matters-they can walk everywhere and they have a super easy tram system, so not intimidating that Paris can sometimes be.

I get the feeling you won't have a car, right? Because going by train or bus might change my choices quite a bit. Colmar isn't as easy to get to by public transport as Brugges for instance and with only 8-10 days it is nice to try to optimize the transport a bit.

Also, some of the best food we have had in Europe has been in Belgium-we don't really do "haute cuisine" more bib gourmet level, but Belgium has more Michelin starred restaurants than France based on population, whcih was a surprise to us the first time we visited.....

nanabee Oct 21st, 2018 11:07 AM

Does your 18 year old prefer outdoor activities like hiking, etc or big city stuff like museums, shoppimg, cafes, or historical places?

StCirq Oct 21st, 2018 11:28 AM

The Dordogne, but you'll need a car.

Fodorite018 Oct 21st, 2018 01:14 PM

Take a look at Portugal. Our kids were young when we took them, but we absolutely loved it!

thursdaysd Oct 21st, 2018 02:46 PM

Sicily is a great suggestion, there are so many layers of history, and a lot of first class sights. Good food, too.

BTW, thibaut, Greece is very definitely catholic, just Orthodox rather than Roman! The differences might be of interest.

kja Oct 21st, 2018 02:49 PM

If I’m following, this trip is to celebrate child # 3’s graduation (nice gift!) and her preference is Amsterdam / Belgium or Paris & Colmar / Nice. And you have 8 nights? If so, then I think you have two very workable and delightful options.

For the low countries: Amsterdam (at least 4 nights), Brugges (a night or two), and take your pick of other nearby locations.

For France, Paris and so many, many options! Personally, I wouldn’t combine Paris and Nice – I’d want Paris for at least 5 or 6 nights and one or at most two smaller, closer areas. JMO

If your 18-year-old can articulate what is making it hard to choose, then knowing that might help us provide better input. Either choice could be absolutely wonderful. :) If she hasn’t already done so, have her spend some time at a library with the guidebooks that have good quality photos.

You know your family, but personally, if the older two got their picks, I wonder how the youngest will feel if neither of her options end up in the mix. :worry:

menachem Oct 21st, 2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mgib (Post 16812710)
Our youngest child will be graduating high school in May. We take our kids (18, 20, & 22) on a fairly elaborate vacation when they graduate. Child #1 requested Italy, and Child #2 requested the BVI (we were there just two weeks before Hurricanes Irma & Maria). Child #3 is up next and is struggling on narrowing down her list

She is looking at Europe, but we are struggling to find a destination. My wife and I have traveled in Europe fairly extensively - England, Ireland, Germany, Spain, & Italy (several times). The kids have only been to Italy and Germany. We would like to hit a new destination.

We really love exploring old windy streets (Sienna and Venice are two of our favorites). Old churches and buildings intrigue us (we are Catholic, so Italy has a lot to choose from). We are all foodies, and love the long European meals. We will have about 9 days/8 nights - so we can hit a couple of destinations. Maybe two different bases during the trip - 3 to 4 nights in two different locations. We travel light, so packing up and flying/riding to a new spot isn't too difficult.

Child #3 liked the look of Amsterdam & Belgium (Bruges). She is also intrigued with France (Paris for part of trip - then maybe Colmar & Nice). I'm sure I'm overlooking several landing spots. I'm curious if you have any recommendations for us. Thanks in advance for the help.

Paris and Amsterdam. Easy travel with Thalys.

LancasterLad Oct 21st, 2018 11:59 PM

Catholics.......how about a pilgrimage to Medugorje in Bosnia & Herzegovina. Also take in Mostar and Sarajevo.

You could start off by flying into Croatia [Split] and spend a few days on the coast in Split. It's got a beautiful Old Town right next to the water. Also take in a couple of day trips by ferry to the islands of Brac and Hvar......gorgeous scenery.

Then a bus or private van transfer to Mostar, takes about 3 hours.

Between Mostar and Sarajevo use the train. One of the best train journeys in the world imo, and only takes 2.5 hours.