Notices

Destination close to Paris

Apr 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Destination close to Paris

We will be spending a week in Paris and then have a rental car for 3 days. On day 4, we need to be at CDG at noon for our return flight.

We would like to visit wineries, so I know the general direction. I have looked at Beune and Dijon but I am afraid this is too far to return Day 4 morning.

Should we return the car at the airport or return it elsewhere and then take the train in? I have been reading for hours and I am still confused.

Any advice would be helpful. We are two couples in our 60's. Is the return trip from Champagne or Reims doable? Thanks!
Apr 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM

YOu could do that if you got rid of the car in Dijon and then took the TGV direct from Dijon to CDG on the day you need to leave. I know they have one direct train like that in the morning that gets at CDG around 9 am. That's kind of early if you don't really need to be there until noon, but I think that's the only direct train. Reims is even closer, you could easily take a train from Reims to CDG the same day, that's almost like taking the RER to the airport in Paris (only takes about a half hour). You'd have to check the schedule, they would have more possible direct trains as it is closer. They have one at 8 and 11:44 weekdays in May, so again you'd get there real early (about 8:30) or a bit late (12:15). But you'd have to check schedules for the date you want.
Apr 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM

I would advise to keep your departure day as simple as possible. Such days always seem more stressful and rushed than planned. I am in my 70's so I can appreciate that. Watch out for rush hour factors and of course it depends how early you decide to rise. Can be difficult to get breakfast in France at an early hour
Your questions left some questions, but likely you will have to pay a significant rental car drop charge unless you return it where you originally picked it up. If the pick up location was Paris then don't underestimate the time it takes to travel to CDG.
If I was returning the rental car to the airport I would definitely stay north of the CDG airport on the night before, some town like Chantilly or Beauvais and you can approach that area on the previous day from Champagne or such.
Hope this helps. Bonne Vacannes
Apr 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We decided that your advice, Parmenter, was spot on about keeping departure day as simple as possible. We are spending the time in Champagne. Can't wait! Thank you both for responding. Sometimes it just takes a bit of support to clear the cobwebs after so much researching!

Search this Thread