Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Desperate for advice on Palermo and Carini (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/desperate-for-advice-on-palermo-and-carini-559939/)

robino Sep 21st, 2005 08:35 AM

Desperate for advice on Palermo and Carini

My husband is taking me to Sicily, my first trip to Europe. I'm 3rd generation Sicilian and he's NOT! My grandparents (both sides) were born in Carini, outside of Palermo. Relatives there are very old and do not speak English, but I must see the town. We're planning on staying 2 nights in Taoramina, then head to Palermo/Carini for 2 nights by train. Or do you suggest renting a car? What's the easiest way? And, do you have a suggestion of WHERE to stay in Palermo, that would be convenient and easy for travel to Carini. The room must be clean and comfortable, price around E125-150. Do you suggest that we travel to Carini by train, bus, or is it best to rent a car? Any advice would be a tremendous help! Thanks much!

bobthenavigator Sep 21st, 2005 08:56 AM

I do not know the location of Carini, but I suspect there is local bus service from Palermo. As for a place to stay, look at Hotel Letizia in the old town for good value.

ekscrunchy Sep 21st, 2005 09:04 AM

Although I have not stayed there, I was warned away from the Hotel Letizia by several knowledgeable travelers due to its location in Piazza Marina which is considered a rather shaky area. Perhaps these persons are overly cautious but I would take care on your choice of hotel in Palermo.

Eloise Sep 21st, 2005 09:10 AM

A.S.T. (Azienda Siciliana Trasporti) is a bus company that goes from Palermo to Carini. Their telephone number is 091-6208111 and the fax number is 091-6703974. Most bus services leave from near the main train station in Palermo.

To go by train from Taormina to Palermo, one has to change trains at Messina, and the whole trip takes between 4 and 5 hours. Renting a car and driving is sure to be faster and more convenient.

sicula Sep 21st, 2005 10:34 AM

Its an easy drive from Taormina to Palermo. Carini used to be a small argicultural town on a donkey trail but is by now a western suburb of Palermo and easy to get to by car. Piazza Marina is in the historic district of Old Palermo. I would not be concerned about staying at the Hotel Letizia but there may not be elevator service or a readily available place to park. There is a very nice B&B in the same area that I would recommend and the owners might help you find parking: www.aicartari.it
If you have addresses for your relatives in Carini, I suggest that you write to them and tell them of your plans to visit. They will surely find someone to translate your letter from English to Italian. No doubt they will be thrilled to see you no matter what the distance is in time and kinship. What I remember most about Carini was the scent of orange blossoms on the breeze and beautiful views of the country side and sea. Magnificent.

robino Sep 21st, 2005 03:17 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply! And especially to you Sicula for the b&b info and encouraging me to contact my distant relatives.