Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Deserted beaches on French riviera (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/deserted-beaches-on-french-riviera-1122371/)

Whathello Jul 31st, 2016 06:37 AM

Deserted beaches on French riviera

The beaches are comparatively empty. I would say that half of the people are missing this year.
Maybe they stay indoors but restaurants and bars also saw a significant drop in business.

Tourism is suffering.

Tulips Jul 31st, 2016 07:49 AM

I thought it was fairly busy last week, I wouldn't call it deserted, but by no means crowded. Plenty of matelas available on the beaches.

kerouac Jul 31st, 2016 09:06 AM

Actually, the news today said that tourism is down 10% on the Côte d'Azur, 20% in a few places.

jtpj777 Jul 31st, 2016 10:31 AM

No sign of that on the beach I was on today in Nice: it was heaving, could hardly find a space to put down my towel!

traveller1959 Jul 31st, 2016 12:26 PM

Will be at the Côte in September!

traveller1959 Aug 1st, 2016 02:49 AM

I wondered why you started this thread until the terrorist attack in Nice came into my mind. That does not bother us at all. The risk of becoming a victim when vacationing on the Côte d'Azur has not increased because of the attack in Nice.

And it is still MUCH lower than being struck by a lighting, being killed in an ordinary traffic accident or catching a deadly germ.

jtpj777 Aug 1st, 2016 08:02 AM

Statistically, you are more likely to be killed by your pillow than by a terrorist!

Toulonnais Aug 1st, 2016 09:16 AM

So, if the beaches are empty as Whathello says, come on the Côte d'Azur and enjoy that rare situation. It will be a privilege for you ! Be welcomed.

PalenQ Aug 1st, 2016 11:07 AM

And it is still MUCH lower than being struck by a lighting, being killed in an ordinary traffic accident or catching a deadly germ.>

And much more likely to be killed en route to the airport than in any terrorist attack once in Europe.

jtpj777 Aug 1st, 2016 01:08 PM

Much more likely to be killed by a pizza delivery boy riding his scooter along the pavement!

traveller1959 Aug 1st, 2016 01:14 PM

I have read (earnestly!) that several hundred people are killed each year by ballpoint pens!

(It is a story for a Stephen King horror movie. But the explanation is rather bland: they swallow them and choke.)

And do some research how many French Kings had been killed by fishbones!

Nonconformist Aug 1st, 2016 01:42 PM

You'd have to try pretty hard to swallow a pen, surely?

I was looking at coroners' inquests a while ago, and it made me think twice about getting up in the morning seeing how many ways people managed to die accidentally.

Tulips Aug 1st, 2016 10:34 PM

Radio news just now, in Belgium; 64 Belgian people have died on holiday in the month of July; a record number. Heart attacks and other natural causes (that could have happened at home too) but also traffic accidents; more people travel by car this year. Perhaps scared of using planes or trains? Driving is still much more dangerous.

Whathello Aug 2nd, 2016 03:27 AM

French are learning fast it seems.
We were at a gathering in Cavalaire for the show 'Danse avec les Stars' produced by TF1.
Must have been 30 cops at least.
5-6 were looking from the tops of nearby stairs and were filming and we were all stopped and searched upon entering the square where it took place.
We were there 2 years ago and there was - maybe - one cop in case somebody was drunk I guess.

Tulips Aug 2nd, 2016 04:59 AM

The Jazz Festival in Juan was cancelled for a few days, until they could get more security personnel in.