Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Depressed over rainy forecast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/depressed-over-rainy-forecast-456636/)

pat12 Jul 6th, 2004 08:08 AM

Depressed over rainy forecast

We will be in Kandersteg and Wengen for a total of five nights starting this Thursday, July 8 and the weather forecast is unfortunately rain for the entire period. Of course, we had planned all outdoor activities for our short visit to Switzerland (hiking and trip up to Jungfrau) and it is too late to cancel our hotel reservations. Any suggestions for how to spend our time other than eating?

StCirq Jul 6th, 2004 08:24 AM

Two thoughts:

1. The forecast for my April trip to France was absolutely dismal. The actual weather was lovely.

2. I once spent three weeks in the Dordogne with my two then young children and it rained 19 days out of 21. After spending the first couple of days indoors, we decided to heck with the weather! We canoed in the rain, we hiked in the rain, we went horseback riding in the rain, we swam in the rain - and had a ball. It's just water.

bookchick Jul 6th, 2004 08:28 AM

Hi pat12,
I agree with StCirq. First of all, predictions are just that---not guarantees. Secondly, unless you're going to be swept away by floods, go about your business. I'd rather be rained on in Rome than be experiencing sunshine in a place I found boring!!!

BC

ThinGorjus Jul 6th, 2004 08:47 AM

Everyone told me two years ago NOT to travel to Thailand and Cambodia in July because it would POUR every day. For my entire 10-day trip, it rained for 1 hour in Angkor Wat. It NEVER rained in Bangkok.

The weather is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom (James Joyce).

Cheers.

Larry_M Jul 6th, 2004 10:20 AM

I had experiences similar to those of StCirq and ThinGurjus...just before a recent trip to Germany, Austria, Hungary and Czech Rebublic, the forecast was pretty much solid rain every day. As it turned-out, in a total of 17 days, we had one all-day rain, a few scattered showers in others, and mostly glorious sunshine.

Forget about it and stick to your plans.

Travelnut Jul 6th, 2004 11:38 AM

I agree that the forecasts are usually more dire than the actuality...but maybe someone should give some recs to pat12 just in case...(I haven't been to this area so can't contribute anything).

suze Jul 6th, 2004 12:01 PM

I don't know that region of Switzerland, but generally would suggest: visiting castles, wineries, chocolate or cheese making tours, scenic trams or railways. Take lightweight rain gear in case it's just drizzly you can go with your original plans. There's always the movies (big fun in a foreign language).

allisonm Jul 6th, 2004 05:27 PM

Years ago we used to spend a week or so ever summer on Cape Cod with our two small kids, in a TENT. One year we arrived on a lovely June day. The rain came the next day and it rained for 9 days because a hurricane stalled off the coast. We were on vacation, so we just made the best of it and did some things we wouldn't normally have done. (We bought a popup camper when we got home.) Your vacation may not turn out as you expected, but you will still have a wonderful time!

christieCA Jul 6th, 2004 08:00 PM

I was in the BO two weeks ago. It was forcasted to rain every day and I was quite upset about that as I had many hikes planned. It did rain each day, but only for a short period of time. Overall, it was lovely because the weather was perfect for a full day of hiking! Taking a trip up to the Jungfrau however would not have been worth the money due to the constant overcast.
In case it does rain hard the whole time (which I doubt it would), the train rides through the region are beautiful...I think even more so in the rain.

princess_01ca Jul 7th, 2004 01:31 AM

what we normally do here in central switzerland when the weather turns rainy is check the forcast for just south of the Alps, in the Ticino region of Switzerland. very often while the oberland and central switzerland is being rained on, glorious sunshine covers the area just a bit to the south.

and according to various posts on this board the Ticino region certainly has its fair number of fans. There is hiking in this area also and although it may not be amoung mountain peaks but rather hills and olive trees, I have heard many good things about it.

don't forget just what a difference a mountain range can do to weather!

Budman Jul 7th, 2004 04:48 AM

It rained almost an entire week while we visited Austria. The Austrian couple we stayed with told us that "There's never bad weather, only bad clothes." We had a great time, even though we wore bad clothes. ((a)) ((b))

Travelnut Jul 7th, 2004 05:50 AM

TopMan, I don't read where anyone is "whining"... Everyone seems to be encouraging and positive about the possibility of a little weather or about their experiences with it. No one said "oh my trip was ruined" or "we were totally depressed the entire time" - THAT would be "whining"...

Hagan Jul 7th, 2004 07:05 AM

We had several days of overcast, rainy weather last year when we were in Lauterbrunnen. We just hopped on the train (had Swiss Passes), rode several routes with gorgeous scenery, visited Luzern, and still had a glorious time. We didn't get to the top of the Jungfrau, but figured this gives us an excuse to go back!!!! Have a fabulous trip.