Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Depressed about the whole thing (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/depressed-about-the-whole-thing-191005/)

Travel Girl Sep 23rd, 2001 12:23 PM

Depressed about the whole thing

Cancelled trip today. <BR> <BR>Overwhelmingly, the people who care about me strongly urged me not to go to Paris today. Mostly because of possible terr. acts to Americans and allies in Europe and the possibility of not being able to get back to USA. <BR> <BR>I'm depressed about the whole thing, the WTC, going to war, cancelling a trip to one of the greatest cities in the world, and losing money on my ticket (in that order). I had such a great time researching Paris and activities on the web. I've learned so much from Fodorites. Thank you all for your input and sharing. What a great community. <BR> <BR>Good news, Priceline.com gave me a full refund on the hotel in Paris. <BR> <BR>Undetermined, a refund/reschedule by tickets.com. <BR> <BR>Mixed feelings.

Vita Sep 23rd, 2001 12:33 PM

Travel Girl, I'm so sorry you won't be able to go on your trip. But on the bright side, you have people that love you and truly care about your well being! Paris will be there when you and your family are ready to see it. Take care.

fran Sep 23rd, 2001 02:04 PM

Travel Girl, I, too, cancelled a trip to Paris. I wavered back and forth about going and finally made up my mind that I had to decide one way or the other or I would make myself crazy. My husband was having nightmares about hijacked plans and that sort of clinched it for me. I figured we would be too worried and depressed to enjoy ourselves so we will go to France another time. I was there last year with some friends and really wanted to go again with my husband, but "c'est la vie". Instead, we are going to San Diego for a week. It's not Paris, but it's only a five hour drive for us and I think the sea air and natural beauty will do us good.

Karen Sep 23rd, 2001 02:43 PM

My husband and I also cancelled our trip to Paris. We were supposed to leave on September 20 and we were making ourselves crazy. Everyday we'd change our minds about going. Our friends thought we were foolish even to consider traveling abroad at this time and our son felt very uneasy. So, instead we are traveling up the east coast of Florida and today we're in St. Augustine. It's nice, but it's NOT PARIS. (It's not exotic or exciting, we only hear English being spoken and the stores are all too familiar.) Oh well, hopefully, we'll be able to travel some time soon.

Travel Girl Sep 30th, 2001 11:57 AM

Not even second best... <BR> <BR>I ended up going to Niagra Falls and Toronto. Rained all week. NF and the surrounding area, "NF on the Lake" was very beautiful. <BR> <BR>Toronto was way bigger than I imagined. A very crowded and busy city. Headline on one of the newspapers I saw was "Toronto Planning Center for Terrorists" with a picture of the ugliest one of the terrorists. Looked like Satan without the horns. Well I felt just great to have chosen such a spot for my vacation (being sarcastic here). <BR> <BR>At least I wasn't bored.

Janine Oct 1st, 2001 01:59 AM

I have also cancelled my trip (was due to leave Thursday). To avoid depression, I am viewing it as more of a postponement than a cancellation. I WILL get to Europe when the time is right. And no matter how crazy the world is at the moment, I continue to believe that we WILL get back to a kind of normality that allows us all to travel and live our lives without fear. I'm just looking forward to that day.

L Oct 1st, 2001 06:56 AM

I am sorry to hear about the fears ... I can certainly understand it. We are frightened too. But our trip to Paris for late Demember is still "on" ... I do hope it will be safer then. I also hope all of you who felt the need to cancel will in the near future be able to reschedule and get on with your plans to visit Paris. I also do hope people will come to DC where we are ... and will not be afraid to see their national city. Ciao

Robin Oct 1st, 2001 07:05 AM

Hey TG, I'm so sorry you had to be disappointed. I was just thinking this weekend that I'm glad I don't have to make the decision to go or not go right now. In general I'm never fearful about traveling, and intellectually I believe we're safe on planes, but I would have a hard time stepping up and doing it. As it happens, we don't have anything planned for awhile. But I am sorry you had to make this choiec, and I feel for you and all the others who have done the same.

Mare Oct 1st, 2001 09:11 AM

My husband and I were planning to go ahead with our Paris trip in 2 1/2 weeks, but according to the news today, London, Paris and Indonesia are the riskiest places to travel right now. I think we are going to re-book for the spring and hope we can feel more comfortable about it then. I am so disappointed, as this would have been our second trip to Paris and I know first hand what we will be missing!

fodors fan Oct 1st, 2001 09:20 AM

Mare-- <BR> <BR>What you've just posted is alarming. According to WHAT news?

abc Oct 1st, 2001 09:58 AM

Yes, what news specifically because I cannot find anything that says Paris, London and Indonesia are the riskiest places right now. Please tell where you read this?

L Oct 1st, 2001 10:02 AM

ABC, take a look at some of the articles on Yahoo today ... these three places are cites. Ciao

abc Oct 1st, 2001 10:27 AM

I looked around Yahoo and found nothing that specifically pointed out those 3 areas as being specific targets. I did see where Janet Jackson canceled her Eurepean tour. <BR> <BR>BTW, Indonesia is a country.

abc Oct 1st, 2001 10:27 AM

European! sorry!

huh? Oct 1st, 2001 10:41 AM

Mare, <BR>I also looked at the USA travl advisories and regular news sites, cannot find your reference to london and paris being unsafe? where are you getting this information? I'd think the USA would issue a warning specifically for these cities if it were true.

Mare Oct 1st, 2001 11:11 AM

I saw this on my local news (WCVB, Boston) at noon. I have been trying all afternoon to get more info on this without luck. As someon already said, they are not listed at the state department's site. WCVB mentioned those countries in particular, which really concerned me because the previous warnings about European travel were vague and didn't seem to be specific to any one city. (I should not have phrased it as "riskiest places" to travel--sorry. But they did only mention those three places.) Is WCVB news the only place that reported this today?

abc Oct 1st, 2001 11:15 AM

Mare, someone else did mention to me that she heard Paris & London mentioned and she lives in the Boston area. Hopefully the state dept. site will post something soon if those areas are now high risk. Everyone's on edge I think so don't feel bad! I searched the ABC news site because that's what station my friend in Boston heard this on, but can find nothing! It's frustrating.

Arabella Oct 1st, 2001 11:26 AM

ABC, I think Leone meant "cited" not "cities."

Mare Oct 1st, 2001 11:34 AM

Thanks, abc. I would hate to give anyone misinformation. I had no idea this wasn't "general knowlege" until I started looking for more info myself. I hope this gets clarified soon, as we haven't actually cancelled our reservations yet.

L Oct 1st, 2001 12:12 PM

Yes, i did intend to say cited. London, Paris and Indonesia were mentioned today in one or two press accounts as likely sites for terrorist attacks. The US Embassy in Paris was mentioned as a likely target. Looked for the article but cannot locate it. Sorry. Ciao