Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Denmark/Norway/Sweden trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/denmark-norway-sweden-trip-423639/)

danacarrie Apr 18th, 2004 02:00 PM

Denmark/Norway/Sweden trip

My husband and I are planning a trip that will go as follows-
Fly into Copenhagen
How many days there?
Go to Oslo
How many days there?
Train to Bergen
How many days there?
Back to Copenhagen.
Up to the southwest of Sweden where husband has family.
Fly out of Copenhagen.
The entire trip will be 12 days.
We are in the very beginning of planning and I'd love any advice. We like the outdoors, music, art. Can't wait to take the train. Happy to go to small towns. On a budget!
Help!
Thanks!

ira Apr 19th, 2004 05:21 AM

Hi dana,

Considering that you only have 12 days, I suggest you give Copenhagen at least 3 nights.

Singletail Apr 19th, 2004 05:33 AM

What time does your return home flight leave Copenhagen...that may dictate a final night in that city or near the airport. is it possible for you to do an "open jaws" ticket instead of flying out of Copenhagen or is the area you are visiting in Sweden closer to Copenhagen? If you are going to use SAS for transportation you'll end up going back through Copenhagen anyway more than likely even if you did an open jaws out of, say, Stockholm.
Assume you have heard about the "Norway in a Nutshell" trip which could include Bergen.
Have you been to www.railpass.com or www.railsaver.com to see if a rail pass vs. using point to point tickets would be more economical for you?
I am sure everyone will recommend a trip to Tivoli while in Copenhagen and whereas it is worth seeing, particularly if you like "traditional" amusement parks, do not go there thinking it is on any kind of Disneyland or Disneyworld scale because it isn't. Particularly pretty at night when all the colored lights are on.
Have a great trip.

pawy Oct 4th, 2004 10:07 AM

danacarrie:

My young daughter is planning to visit the same places next December 2004, but less days. So all comments sound really interesting for a first time visitor.

Any date for your trip?

Good luck

helen Oct 5th, 2004 03:24 AM

If travelling with SAS or United Airline to Copenhagen. You can get a Visit Europe Air pass letting you fly from Bergen to Copenhagen for only 75 USD, doing this would save you time and money. One person can get up to 8 discounted flights. You can read more about this on the scandinavian.net site. Going by train to Bergen I would do the famous Nutshell trip down to Flam. This is a very long day, so suggest spending the night at Finse, Flam or Stalheim, or just do it as a day-trip out of Bergen.

helen Oct 5th, 2004 03:37 AM

For clarification, each traveller can get up to 8 discounted flights within Europe.

Bjorn Oct 8th, 2004 09:29 AM

Hi. Before givinng advices, I really would like to know more on what time your planned travel will take place. Copenhagen is great, and so is Norway. But seasons differ, hence your preferences count more than unexpensive airfrights. Geilo in winter may be fantastic. The "Nutshell" also, if you want it rainy, mystic and cold.
Personally I favour all Norwegian seasons because I'm borned to utilize theem. However, when deciding on extended holidays abroad, I make deep studies and always conclude on making the trip in the period that the country to be visited is on it's best and not too crowded by local summer holyday's rush.
To me Norway is on it's worst in November (rain and dark) and in March (melting snow and no place to move, wether by skis or by foot)The rest of the yaer is wonderful, but precautions have to be taken, either for the sleep-balance in the light summer months or for the temperature and short day-light hours in the winter. I love the winter cross country skiing, and I love beeing forced to bed when sun falls around midnight in the summer,
But what about you? What do you prefer, and on which fantastic time of the year do you plan to visit our tiny though extremely varyied country?

Please forgive me all typos and grammar falsies.

Bjorn, Oslo