Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Denmark first three weeks of September (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/denmark-first-three-weeks-of-september-403942/)

bonnettdc Feb 26th, 2004 11:31 AM

Denmark first three weeks of September

Mostly outside Copenhagen. Book in advance? Favor 3-star hotels where price and desireability seem to meet. What are hotel checks and how do they work? All input appreciated. Dave

joegri Feb 26th, 2004 05:50 PM

Dave: I suspect you haven't had any responses after more than six hours because we can't figure out what you are askin. Do you want suggestions for places out side Copenhagen? Do you want suggestions for thre star hotels out side Copenhagen? Do you want confirmation on staying at three star hotels? There are a number of us that have been to Scandinavia that might be able to help you if we knew what you needed.
If others are clear about Dave's questions, I apologize and, by all means, help him.

WillTravel Feb 26th, 2004 06:11 PM

Where do you want to stay?

I've read about the so-called inn cheques (can't remember the Danish term now).

I think rates after September 1 actually rise compared to the summer prices.

You can get a start on Copenhagen at least by going to www.woco.dk - that site probably has links for other areas in Denmark.

In addition to Copenhagen, I quite liked Aarhus also.

bonnettdc Feb 27th, 2004 04:50 AM

The way it looks now, we'll be spending four nights in Copenhagen and then in Langeland, Roskilde, Haderslev, Arhus, Alborg, Skagen, Skive, Ringkoberg and Ribe. Probably, we will consolidate some of these cities which are close to each other. We are looking at the best way of obtaining nice but not luxury accommodations. Not sure if reservations are required in September. Every country and every season seem to be different. Input appreciated.

nytraveler Feb 27th, 2004 05:25 AM

While not the height of the tourist season September can still be quite busy and if you want good prices for a 3* hotel I would definitely reserve in advance. If you wait until you get there you may get a good price or you may get a very high price or you may have to stay somewhere you don;t particularly like - as well as spending a good part of your vacation time looking for somewhere to stay. (It doesn't seem like you're asking about the ability to change plans at will but about the best price strategy.) You could always reserve now and check just before you go to see if you can change to a lower rate. Or, if there are particlar hotels you want you can contact them regularly to find out how full they are looking for your dates. But if it were me I would start doing serious research now and reserve by June at the latest.

WillTravel Feb 27th, 2004 06:56 AM

I wouldn't switch hotels from Copenhagen for your trip to Roskilde. I would just take the 20-minute or so train ride out in the morning. Priceline is the only option that I know of to get reasonably priced hotel rooms in Copenhagen, but you might not be happy with what turns up, depending how selective you are.

Alborg could be done as a day trip from Aarhus also. I would have to look at a map to remember the rest.

Both Copenhagen and Aarhus have hotels from the chain www.cabinn.dk - these might be a price and quality that you would be okay with.