Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   delta or air france? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/delta-or-air-france-611793/)

summer Apr 30th, 2006 10:25 AM

delta or air france?

My husband and I are going to Paris in October for the first time. We plan to fly out of Cincinnati nonstop. We thought we might make the big splurge and fly busniness class. However, I just checked out both airlines on Skytrax and both sound pretty bad and certainly not worth the extra for business class. (customers' comments) So what do you think? Is business class worth it/which airline? (the price is the same for both) Thanks!

georgiegirl Apr 30th, 2006 10:32 AM

A friend of mine always flies business class on Continental to Paris. He said that it is better than the one in AF.

Judi Apr 30th, 2006 12:12 PM

We have flown BusinessElite several times on Delta and definitely think it is worth the cost. I have also flown Business class on BA and consider it a wee bit better than Delta.

I would not fly AF business unless it has been retrofitted; I understand the old seats are not worth the cost.

Have a great first trip to Paris!

Tallulah Apr 30th, 2006 12:18 PM

I can't say that I particularly like Delta but that was a few years ago - and in cattle class.

Equally in cattle class my friend flew with Air France a week ago and had a pretty rubbish flight (she flew Heathrow to Havana and back):

* They lost her luggage on the return

* They served one meal at the beginning of each flight and then the air crew literally disappeared! Passengers were actually going to the galley and helping themselves to snacks and drinks!

I'd vote for Delta out fo the two...

Weadles Apr 30th, 2006 12:33 PM

We had a really wonderful flight with AF in business class from JFK-Paris in January, but that was on one of the newly retrofitted planes. Food, service, comfort was all exceptional.

Tere Apr 30th, 2006 12:35 PM

Well , I have traveled business class in Air France ( last month )and I found it really worth it. I really doubt Delta can provide such good food and meals as AF does....!! And the seats old or new concept are very comfortable. Air France business class is pretty good.

summer Apr 30th, 2006 12:36 PM

Is there a way to know if a plane has been retrofitted?

jody Apr 30th, 2006 12:38 PM

My butt is still sore from Delta BC seats..though the FA said our plane was scheduled for an upgrade. If I were doing FF miles for tickets or an upgrade, then yes the leg room and wine and lounges are worth it..but pay my own money for it..no way!

annw Apr 30th, 2006 01:02 PM

I've flown business class on both Delta and Air France to Europe in the past year, more than once. On the AF flight I was on a 747 in the upper section; I have no idea if that's considered retrofitted or not.

On both flights, the fully reclining seats were great; the meals were fine, the service adequate. I have bought good deal tickets on BC and have used miles.

For me the main difference--an important one to me--is that on Delta and most of the US carriers there is *incessant* noise and talking at passengers--whether re: when meals will start, duty free shopping, movie will start, etc. Often the talk is loud and not particularly pleasant.

AF was great and was generally quiet--few announcements; efficient, professional staff. Since it was a night flight, this approach was particularly welcome.

I would always select AF over Delta if I have a choice.

Toupary Apr 30th, 2006 01:19 PM

Check the flight numbers. Every time I've flown AF to Paris, it has been a combined AF/Delta operation.

More importantly, check the seat plans. On the 777, you're packed in like sardines. Last time I flew, the equipment was Airbus, and it was far more comfortable.

ira Apr 30th, 2006 01:25 PM

Hi S,

>We thought we might make the big splurge and fly busniness class. <

My advice is don't. You will be paying for a very expensive hotel room for the night.

I suggest flying AF cattle class and using the money you save to enjoy Paris.

"Fly cheap, Sleep cheap, Eat well" is our family motto.

((I))

Rmkelly313 Apr 30th, 2006 01:25 PM

Almost a year ago, my husband and I purchased 1st class tickets to Paris via Delta for use this June. We were hopeful that we could use our frequent flyer miles since we had more than enough but of course that wasn't an option. Silly us.
Since we've had "experiences" with Delta in the past, my husband periodically checked with Delta online to make sure our reservations were still intact. Well, he checked last week and they weren't - Delta had cancelled our flight and put us on another one in coach - without telling us, of course. Fortunately, he was able to make first class reservations on another flight. Will they still be there when we get to the airport? Who knows?
My advice - fly Delta if you must but be ready for anything.

Maire Apr 30th, 2006 01:32 PM

Wow, RmKelly, that is not good. You would think they would, at least, contact you. Did they charge you to get you back into first class?

Andre Apr 30th, 2006 01:35 PM

Summer,

There is only 1 Cincinnati-Paris nonstop flight and it is operated by Delta, not Air France.

Air France sells the flight as well (AF 8701), but you'll be on the same the same Delta plane - it's a Boeing 777 either way.

Personally, I've never flown Delta transatlantic, but business class is a huge difference vs. coach on any carrier. If you can afford it go for it, IMHO at least.

You could be able to get a better fare on a different airline by changing planes enroute, so shop around. A one-stop connection in business class is still far preferable to a nonstop flight in coach. Again IMHO.

Hope this helps,
Andre

CarolA Apr 30th, 2006 01:38 PM

I am a little worried about RMKelly's flight. DL does not have First Class only Coach and Business....

There are two possiblities, one is that you are in business or the second is that you are actually on Air France which does have First Class (I got upgraded once and it was VERY VERY nice) If you are on AirFrance and a change is made you do have to be careful. DL has changed my flights numerous times, but I have never been moved from Busienss to Coach and I am normally flying on miles.

letour Apr 30th, 2006 01:47 PM

Don't know about retrofits, but I have flown Air France coach and business class, and it's a significant upgrade in terms of roominess and comfort. I happen to like the wines and food served on AF, although I have read that drinking the wine is a no-no due to the dehydration during the flight.

Our upgrade cost me $500 per ticket, and though that was an added cost, I would do it again.

Bon voyage!

ira Apr 30th, 2006 02:20 PM

Re food on AF:

It is very good in 1 cl.

Make friends with the flight attendants.
Stay up late.
You might get a taste in the galley at the rear of the plane.

((I))

rkkwan Apr 30th, 2006 05:48 PM

<b>Both AF and DL operate CVG-CDG non-stop</b> at least during the summer.

The earlier flight 4:25pm is operated by Air France (AF383/DL8535) on a 340-300.

The later flight 7:15pm is operated by Delta (DL44/AF8701) on one of their few 777-200.

I don't know what stage AF is in converting their business class to the new shell-seats on their 340.

Areala Apr 30th, 2006 07:43 PM

I booked my tickets thru citicard for my FF points and we chose AF however when I printed up the itinerary it says AF operated by Delta....Sooo...am I flying on an AF plane or a Delta one...I flew Delta to Greece last year and it was awful.

rkkwan Apr 30th, 2006 08:09 PM

Areala - You are flying Delta. Delta plane, Delta pilots, Delta crew, Delta food, Delta check-in desk. Everything Delta except the flight number on your boarding pass.