Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DELTA and UNITED CXL SOME INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS

Sep 21st, 2001, 09:34 PM
andy

Delta Airlines has cancelled flight out of JFK to: Brussels,Zurich,Cairo and Tel Aviv until Oct.31

UNITED/KLM has cancelled all flights to New Delhi

Sep 21st, 2001, 09:42 PM
San Diego

Not only did UA cancel my reservation to New Dehli, they insisted that I cancelled it(when I didn't!!). Because they claimed that I cancelled the reservation they refused to help me secure another one on another carrier!! The supervisor even refused to talk to me. I know this is a tough time but customer service has declined too. I got a great deal on Singapore Air.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:04 AM
Andy

Steve- I don't know when you are leaving, but call United back again and ask to speak to a supervisor-get her agent sign and get your record locator number--if no one will help you,ask for the address of the Head of Customer Relations for United and write a long letter requesting a refund.

My husband decided he didn't want to fly Delta domestically yesterday and forgot to cancel his return flight..No problem,because Delta called me to tell me his flight connection was cancelled and that they were re-scheduling him. I told them that he had already left to drive home and wouldn't be using the return portion of his ticket--THe agent documented his record,gave me the record locator number and her agent sign and said when he gets home to call them and they would credit the return portion of his trip to his credit card....

Just keep at it with the supervisors-they are super stressed right now and in all honesty don't know what the policies are from one minute to the next.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:19 AM
Howard

United has cut 20% of its flights, domestic and international. And, I'm sure others have done the same or similar.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Ann

I had good luck on Sabena, and was able to get out on their first flight out of Washington. However, the man in front of me had been booked on United. United told him they tranferred him to Sabena to get him home to Belgium quicker. Unfortunately, United neglected to tell Sabena about this. And then Sabena dropped the ball, telling this man that the flight was completely full. I'd estimate that 25% of the seats were empty. Communication seems to have fallen apart.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:58 PM
John G

Steve, what United did to you doesn't surprise me a bit. They did the same thing to me last year when we weren't having all the problems with terrorism. They are just a horrible airline no matter what.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:38 AM
Melody

Yeah for DELTA!!!!!!!Finally an airline that is taking some precautions.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:25 PM
dave

Melody---

The cancellations for Delta are primarily economic in nature. I talked to their reservation dept (because I was on the flight through JFK) and he explained that a lot of the flights cancelled have alternative routes.

Sep 24th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Shanna

I was originally scheduled to go Gainesville, FL to Charlotte, NC to Frankfurt Germany. Pulled up my USAirways reservations today to find they've moved me to a Gainesville to Charlotte to Pittsburg departure - although the Charlotte portion to Pittsburg departed before the arrival of the first flight from Gainesville. Needless to say, I called, and got another re-route to Frankfurt via Philly. So I'm taking off 3 times instead of 2. But I guess I won't cry the blues - for now - at least I'm still going. When I checked for a direct flight from Charlotte to Frankfurt, nothing direct came up, but the reservationist didn't know if those flights are permanently gone or what. If flights aren't full, then there will be cancellations. I'll keep looking to see if I can get my original schedule back. With all these connections, just exactly when will I eat or sleep, I wonder? It'll be Power Bars for me.

Sep 24th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Linds

My TWA flight from St. Louis to Paris on Oct. 3rd was also canceled, as was the return flight two weeks later. I had to rebook with a combination of TWA and American flights requiring three planes each way from San Francisco to Paris. What a nightmare.

Sep 24th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Book Chick

Linds,
My cousin & I just cancelled our trip to Paris for the very same reason, we'd have to change planes & basically spend in excess of a day getting there. We were victims of the flights being eliminated by Northwest & found it interesting that the other (multi-leg) flights to & from Paris were (a coincidence I'm sure) a few hundred dollars more per person.
BC