Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Delta Airline Strike? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/delta-airline-strike-575597/)

DiG Dec 10th, 2005 04:10 PM

Delta Airline Strike?

I was informed by some fellow travelers, that the pilots union are posing to stike this Spring. Does anyone know anything about this?

It would definitely appear to bring them down for good. Hopefully, Delta and the pilots union can work out a compromise.

rex Dec 10th, 2005 04:16 PM

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34711019

Best wishes,

Rex

bob_brown Dec 10th, 2005 04:44 PM

An article written December 8 states that the executive committee of the Delta Pilots' Union voted to ask the rank and file members for the authority to call a strike.

Delta spokespersons are saying (and have been saying) that a strike by the pilots would be a murder-suicide.

The present legal hearings in which Delta's management is seeking to void the pilots' contract are suppose to end on December 16, which is this coming Friday.

If the judge extends the dates for the hearings, more wrangling will ensue.

Some analysts think the strike is an empty threat. Others see it as highly threatening.

I think both sides are waiting to see what the judge will rule and, right now, both sides are trying to leave wiggle room.

Now that the executive committee has asked for authority to call a strike, ballots must be sent out, collected and counted before a strike date can be set.

The news article I most recently read said the voting process to authorize a strike could "take weeks." No specific time limit was stated.

I personally have no information other than the public sources.

Those of us interested in what happens will await December 16 with some anxiety.

TXEER Dec 10th, 2005 09:03 PM

I'm a million miler on Delta and I just cashed in my last 180,000 miles for tickets to Europe in May on Air France nonstop from Houston to Paris.

Delta is toast...what the bad economy and poor management didn't kill the pilots will!

A once proud, number 1 air carrier is going away...liquidation is iminent and it didn't have to happen but Delta is going, going gone!

TXEER

ira Dec 11th, 2005 02:06 AM

>A once proud, number 1 air carrier is going away...liquidation is iminent and it didn't have to happen ...<

What ever happened to Pan Am?

((I))

bob_brown Dec 11th, 2005 08:31 AM

An article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today said that a strike was not likely.

Unfortunately, the pilots and Delta management are far apart on bargaining.
The pilots have made an offer of a pay reduction, but management wants substantially more.

The bankruptcy judge has been prodding both sides to compromise. So far, no results have been announced.

Atlanta without Delta will be a serious blow to the whole economy of the region.
I am sure other airlines will move to fill the void, but if Delta goes suddenly belly up, the adjustment will be major.

rex Dec 11th, 2005 09:25 AM

The AJC article reassured me a bit, but not entirely.

Quoting:

<< Les Hough, research director at Georgia State University's Usery Center for the Workplace, said some pilots might express their displeasure through sickouts or work-to-rule actions that create short-term operational headaches. But a traditional strike at Delta, he said, is "highly unlikely."

"The only example of a strike being the pivotal event that led to a liquidation was at Eastern Airlines," Hough said. >>

============

And just to remind everyone... Eastern Airlines was also headquartered in Atlanta. Lightning DOES strike twice. In fact, where lightning strikes more than once - - it tends to strike the most frequently! (The Empire State Building, for example)

ira Dec 12th, 2005 02:21 AM

Hi all,

CNN reports this morning that Delta and the Pilots (sounds like a rock group)have reached an agreement and that there will be no strike.

((I))

aeiger Dec 12th, 2005 03:58 AM

HI
Ira has it correct. A tentaive agreement has been reached and the union pilots will vote on it. It calls for a 14% pay cut. Here in Atlanta it is good news.

bob_brown Dec 12th, 2005 05:15 PM

The article in the AJC for today, December 12, said that both sides had agreed.
What this means for the long term, 2 years or more from now, is most cloudy.

Delta is not the only US major company hemorrhaging money. GM is also threatened.
Bond rating cut to below investment grade.