Delphi or Temple of Poseidon?

Sep 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Delphi or Temple of Poseidon?

Hi,
My husband and I are leaving for Greece next week, and we are trying to plan our time in Athens. We only have 2 1/2 days in Athens, and we're trying to decide between a trip to Delphi or the Temple of Poseidon. From the little I have read, it seems like the Temple of Poseidon can be done in a half a day, and that it would take a full day to go to Delphi. Therefore, it seems that the Temple of Poseidon might fit better into our schedule. However, I cannot find much information on the Temple of Poseidon. Of the 2, which is the one to go see?
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM

I saw both last October. Of the two definitely Delphi.

Delphi has the temple ruins, the Roman amphitheater, the stunning views over the valley, the additional ruins down the hill, the excellent museum. I loved the fact I spent the night in Delphi and was able to see it without the bus loads of day trippers.

Poseidon has the temple with many columns standing and a stunning view. That's it.

IMHO with only 2.5 days in Athens you're really short changing yourself. There's plenty to do in Athens for that length of time without taking a day trip and sitting in a bus, taxi, rental car, whatever, for hours.
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help. We were debating whether or not we should do either one. Do you think we should just skip it and spend our time in Athens?
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Personally I'd skip the day trip.

Easily a full day to see the Parthenon and work your way down through the Ancient Agora and the Kerimakos cemetery.

The guards at the Parliament building, the archeological museum, views from Lykavittos Hill, Byzantine museum, there's just a lot to see.

I spent 3 full days and could have spent at least 2 more.
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM

We saw both and loved them.

Delphi has more to see but is a long ways away.

Temple of Poseidon is definitely closer, but there isn't that much to see besides the temple itself. The temple is in ruins, but the views from the temple are just amazing. I think we were done looking around the temple in about 30-45 minutes.
Delphi took a little longer because there are 2-3 things to look at around there. Also, you can climb higher from the Oracle pillars to see another site there. I don't know how you are going to pull Delphi off though because you really need your 2.5 days to enjoy Athens itself.
Consider the temple tours I guess because it is closer and you can still do Athens. If you do Delphi, I don't think you will have enough time to see Athens.

If you do go to Delphi, there is a village nearby. We purchased the most amazing silk carpet for about $100. It is pure silk and we just folded it and put it in a plastic bag and got it home. Now we enjoy our little find. It is really a work of art!

Have fun in Greece!
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for your help! Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have to miss Delphi and probably the Temple of Poseidon on this trip. There is so much to see in Athens, and we are very excited. This will just give us an excuse to go back soon so we can see them!
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Have fun on your trip! I agree that foregoing Delphi and Sounion is the right thing to do this trip.
If you go to the Agora (and you should), be sure to visit the museum housed in the Stoa of Attalos.
The Kerameikos cemetery, mentioned by another poster, I agree is worth a visit.
For shopping and nice cafes, check out the Kolonaki district at the foot of Mt Lykavittos. Taking the funicular to the top of Lykavittos gives a great view.
Try a frappe (cold coffee drink) one afternoon! I order mine "gliko me gala" [not the best transliteration there]--sweet with milk. Yum!
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM

I agree with the others - with only 2.5 days in Athens, save Delphi and Sounion for another trip. I know that's hard if you think this will be your only visit, but Athens is worth all that time for itself.

Whatever you do, do not take a tour to any sites as you will have nowhere near the time needed to see the sites properly.

Have a great trip - the Plaka is lots of fun, especially at night. We had many enjoyable long dinners watching the people go buy and window shopping.
Sep 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM

There is a whole mystique to Delphi which is why we were there. At the time as senior citizens we were auditing a university class on ancient Greece, interrupted by our trip, and upon our return I went ahead with a non-credit paper on the mysteries at Dephi. You can do a day trip from Athens taking in Delphi and other spots like Corinth, Epidaurus, Mycenae.
ozarksbill
[email protected]
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Hi, Kat!

While you're in Athens, please take time to see the Nat'l Archaeological Museum, even if you're not "museum people." Other than the Acropolis/Parthenon, it's just about the most rewarding attraction of Athens, IMO. It is a world-class museum with antiquities and sculptures unrivaled by those under any other one roof in the region.

Have a wonderful trip!
Sep 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM

DejaVu, you've made my mouth water. I adored the coffee frappes.