Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Delphi or Mycenae/Epidaurus?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/delphi-or-mycenae-epidaurus-695489/)

Vacationer1 Apr 10th, 2007 06:15 AM

Delphi or Mycenae/Epidaurus??

We are in Athens for 4 and 1/2 days and want to do one day guided bus tour. Would you chose Delphi or the trip to Mycenae and Epidaurus? Thoughts or recommendations? Any particular feedback on which tour company to go with Chat vs. Key vs. Go vs. Hopin??

prhirsch Apr 10th, 2007 08:40 AM

Delphi all the way!

NikolettaG Apr 10th, 2007 01:40 PM

Here's the reply I wrote to a similar question a couple of days ago. "I didn't think I'd find myself recommending a trip out of Athens on a short visit, as I've always felt there is so much to discover in the city itself, but recently I had a friend staying with me for a week who was very keen to visit Delphi. I'm a Classicist and I had to study Delphi extensively when I was teaching, so I wasn't really looking forward to a guided tour, but the trip provided by 'GO Tours' was excellent in every way! It IS a long day: the coach set off at 8.45 am and got back at about 7.30 pm (it should have been earlier, but the traffic was heavy on the way back) - but the scenery is beautiful and the guide enlivened the journey with information about places we passed (e.g Thebes, legend of Oedipus, etc.) She was extremely knowledgeable about the site itself, and she also allowed time for us to wander around on our own. She was really valuable in the museum: she showed us some of the most important exhibits, so that we really learned about those, and didn't feel that we'd tried to see too much in a short time. (We had about an hour in the museum.)We paid €80 each, which included €10 for lunch: excellent value, and it wasn't the typical 'tourist menu' either! We also had a short stop in the village of Arachova (shopping opportunity!) You don't say when you're coming to Greece: spring was perfect for this trip - wild flowers everywhere and still some snow on the mountains. There weren't too many other coaches there, but in high season it could be blisteringly hot and also crowded at the site."
The poster I was replying to didn't ask about Mycenae and Epidauros, but that would also be a wonderful trip - probably not such a long one. If I were going there on a bus tour I would certainly choose Go tours.

Grandma Apr 10th, 2007 02:38 PM

That's a tough question... we found all three memorable. But... I'd probably give the nudge to Delphi.

Vacationer1 Apr 10th, 2007 02:54 PM

NikolettaG, what is the web site for GO tours?

NanBug Apr 10th, 2007 04:17 PM

Definitely Delphi.

I went on my own, via regular bus from Athens.

NikolettaG Apr 10th, 2007 05:38 PM

Vacationer1 - This was trickier than I'd thought! I couldn't find a specific site for GO Tours - I think they work through the Travel Agencies. My friend had done all the research on the Internet: she'd found the Magic Bus Travel Agent, which is centrally located at 20, Filellinon Street,
105 57 Athens, Tel 2103237471-74, Fax 2103220219 website www.magic.gr. The tour descibed on the website is definitely the one we took: it seems slightly cheaper than with other agencies. Another advantage is that there are different buses for English speakers, French speakers, etc, so the same information isn't repeated in different languages - I've met that on some trips in the past.

Pegontheroad Apr 10th, 2007 07:43 PM

I haven't been to Mycenae or Epidaurus, but I must say that the day I went to Delphi many years ago was probably the single most memorable and enjoyable days I've ever spent. Fascinating place!

I knew enough about Greek mythology and culture (or thought I did, anyway) that I could appreciate it without having a guide or even a guidebook, but perhaps a tour would be worthwhile if you're not especially knowledgeable about things Greek.

I went with a group of friends in a rented VW, and we just wandered about. It's been so long ago that I can't recall whether we even had some kind of a map or some info about the place.

I especially remember being very interested in the stadium, which seemed to have acoustics like those in an amphitheater.

Vacationer1 Apr 11th, 2007 08:07 AM

NikolettaG, thanks for giving the web site. Yes, I had a hard time finding it as well.

Nikki Apr 11th, 2007 08:13 AM

Delphi. I loved Mycenae also, but Delphi was one of the most wonderful places I have ever been. A spectacular setting in the mountains with a view to the sea, and the resonance of myth and history all around.

I believe all the tours by the various tour operators are described in very similar terms, and they are probably identical. Hard to tell from the descriptions who the operator is.

I took a four day classical tour with GO Tours, but it was booked through Fantasy Travel. It was given in French and in English, so GO Tours is not guaranteed to give a tour in just English.