Notices

delphi-meteora tour

Jan 25th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

delphi-meteora tour

Planning a trip to Greece this July. We are in our late 50's, fairly fit. Tours are generally not my cup of tea, dislike spending so much time in a bus and then being rushed through sites. Both of us love ruins and history and would like to see something on the mainland outside of Athens. I've been looking at gotours (through Fantasy Travel) 2 day tour of Delphi and Meteora. The sites themselves sound wonderful, but I'm wondering how much time we will actually have at them, and whether we might be better off just taking the bus to Delphi on our own as a daytrip and skipping Meteora? Has anyone been on this tour? Or taken the bus to and from Delphi for a day trip? Is Meteora worth the time spent on the bus to see 2 of the monasteries? I'd appreciate any and all opinions. I also have a question posted about hotels in Greece if you'd care to share your opinion there. Thanks in advance for your help.
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:23 AM

Our first trip to Greece we took two day tours out of Athens, one to Delphi and the other to the Argolis region. We generally don't do tours but decided to try these. (Don't recall the company but Go sounds familiar.) We were both satisfied with some aspects, disappointed with others. Our first dissatisfaction was that we had wanted to do a two-day Delphi and Meteora trip but it was cancelled (before we arrived, so we had time to reconsider). Both tours were somewhat regimented - the nature of tours, unfortunately - and too rushed for us, particularly Delphi. For instance, we had to view the Sanctuary of Athena from the top of the hill, no time to go down there (and we'd have been delighted to "sacrifice" the obligatory stop at the rug store in Arachova to do that), although the tour of Delphi itself was quite satisfactory. The Argolis trip was made somewhat unpleasant by a group of rowdy European businessmen (won't say what country) who never visited any of the sites, just found a place where they could drink beer under the trees, and got louder as the day went on - making it more and more difficult to hear the guide on the bus. Unfortunately, the particular people you end up with on a tour are unpredictable and some unpleasant few can make the trip less than wonderful. Otherwise the tour was satisfactory and made us realize we wanted to see more of the Peloponnese peninsula.

We liked Greece so much that we went back again the next May. This time, after a couple of days in Athens, we took the metro out to the airport and picked up a rental car, then headed to Meteora, stopping for a night on Evia. (Skipped Delphi this time.) Spent 2 nights in a nice little B&B in Kalampaka just outside Meteora and loved it. (If we had to chose between Delphi and Meteora, we'd pick Meteora.) Think Delphi and Meteora on a two day trip would be a bit rushed but better than not seeing Meteora at all. (From Meteora we drove to Corinth - which we had not visited on the previous years' Argolis tour - and than on to Nafplio for three nights before returning the rental car at the Athens airport and flying to Rhodes.) We would definitely recommend you see Meteora if you can. Scenery itself, let alone the monasteries, was wonderful.
Jan 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Why not rent a car and go where you want and when you want? Be aware that with government cutbacks etc it's possible some sites may not be open after 3 PM.

Driving in Greece, especially out of Athens, is by far the best way to get around.
Jan 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM

I traveled in northern Greece on public transport and had no problems. The KTEL buses are fine, and there's train service between Athens and Kalambaka (for Meteora). In Kalambaka I just rented a taxi to visit the monasteries.

Search this Thread