Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

del senato (pantheon area) or santa maria (trastevere)???

Jun 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip for June of 2005,we'll be in Rome for three nights. We need help in deciding where to stay--Although the Del Senato is centrally located, is the area too crowded? Is the area of the Trastevere where the Santa Maria is located filled with charm and less tourists? How does the accomodations of each of these hotels compare to each other? Someone--please help!
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM

We just returned from Italy. We stayed at the Del Senato for 1 week and absolutely loved it. It is centrally located but it depends on what you think is too crowded. I would get up in the early morning and go for a walk and there was hardly anyone around--however, it gets very busy after that. The square was always full in the evening--we would leave our window open and just sleep with the noises of Rome but if that bothers you the A/C works and the room is very soundproof. Staying next door to the Pantheon was wonderful. I would just wander over there whenever I wanted and just enjoy that old building. If you are looking for a quiet non touristy place then Trastevere might be the place--not the most centrally located but you can get places very easily from there. I would still recommend the Del Senato, however. The view from the rooftop bar was amazing.
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM

This is great to hear, Cece. I anguished over making the same choice but went with the del Senato for a 1-week stay this October - largely because our son will be with us on this trip, he has not previously been to Rome and the central location means greater convenience. Had it been only my wife and me, we would have chosen the Santa Maria, and in fact will probably do so for our last night there (after returning from 2 days in Cortona) before departing for US. Adrien, have you looked at all of the reviews on Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com)? They're very helpful. On two previous trips to Rome, we stayed at the Albergo del Sole al Pantheon and it went considerably downhill between the first and second visits, so we don't want to return there. However, the location on the Pizza della Rotonda is fantastic, noise and all. The crowds are friendly, there's often live music and a generally festive atmmosphere. And of course the Pantheon is right there. It's great!! Hope to read some Fodorite reviews of the Santa Maria.
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you CeCe and 3gigs for responding.
We are not traveling with children so
getting around is not a problem- we love to walk a city. I have read messages on slowtrav and trip advisor- very helpful, but I'm still in a quandry. To give more info about our sensibilities- in London, we've stayed at the Dukes which is in a sequestered spot, we would not stay near Leicester Square or the likes. In Amsterdam, we've stayed at the Canal House. We like to stay at places that are small & charming and give a flavor of the country. For example, if I were to stay in NYC, I would stay at the Stanhope rather than the Pierre or Plaza.

Actually, we were just in Rome last April for one night. We stayed at the Portoghesi because we wanted to be centrally located.( We booked to late and did not have the opportunity to get a room at the Del Senato.)After arriving
in Rome, we made a mad dash to the Colloseum, the Forum and St. Peter's. We returned at night for dinner in the piazza della rotunda.Unfortunately,we left early the next morning.We got a brief taste of the city and are hoping for much more next time. It's just that we need more info on both areas--
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:15 PM

It sounds as if you and your husband would be comfortable travelling with my wife and me - we share the same philosophy. We have also stayed at The Canal House; and on our one-night stopover in London at the end of this year's Rome trip we're staying at The Covent Garden. We spend a lot of time trying to pick the "right" place. (Have you stayed at the Michelangelo in NYC? Great one.) Since your only trip to Rome was so brief, I would urge you to consider the more central location because there is much that you are going to want to see, and you don't want to spend too much time on the "back and forth" to the hotel. It strikes me that Trastevere is better suited for the traveller who's been there frequently already, and doesn't mind "rambling" with no specific sights in mind. But hey, I haven't actually stayed there yet - guess we'll do that on the 4th trip, when the son stays home - so I'm interested in what others think.
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks 3gigs-- Given our prior brief exposure, I think we'll take your advice and opt for the centrally located hotel for our trip next June. Thereafter- after getting to know Rome, a future stay would be in the Trastevere. (You should stay there--I would love to read your comments!!)
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM

We also like to stay at small and charming hotels--after Rome we did a 8 day hike through tuscany and stayed in some very wonderful small charming hill towns. We do not stay in big glitzy hotels--I don't like that--but there is something about staying at the Piazza Della Rotonda that was just magical--and the hotel was very nice. Not glitzy but classy and comfortable.
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Cece- my thanks, also to you. I would love to hear about your hike in Tuscany.
During our brief one week stay in Italy this past April (my first time in Italy},we stayed for 3 nights in Sestri Levante at the Grand Hotel dei Castelli-a converted castle set on a prominent point, surrounded by it's own private
park. A spectacular place with an incredible view on the Tigullio Gulf.
It was our base for hiking in the Cinque Terre, Portofino and visiting some other towns in Liguria.
Charm, not glitz, is what we look fo. We
had drinks at the Hotel Splendido-- and felt it was too stuffy--