Glendough/St. kevins kitchen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a two week tour of Ireland May 21-June4. Arrival in Dublin, spend the day touring there. We are not really "big city" folk, and are more interested in visiting sacred places rather than more recent Irish History. Plan to see Trinity College, Book of Kells, St. Patricks Cathedral and Christchurch Cathedral.

Day two, we will pick up rental car and head to Wicklow Mts. to spend time at Glendough. Have loved the pictures from there. We don;t want to rush there, want plenty of time to soak it up...any suggestions as to how long we will need there? Has anyone taken the hike up to see St. Kevins cave/cell? Thinking we would have most of the morning there, then drive over to Kilkenny to see Rock of Cashel and stay at a B & B there. How does this sound to you who have been there? Suggestions?
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM

it's Glendalough. Take a picnic and stay all day. There's magic there.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 05:39 AM

Agree that Glendalough is a fantastic place to stay the day. There are hiking trails there. However, the hike to St. Kevin's cell was closed the last I knew. (I think they lost a tourist or two off the trail). There is a good vistor center there with 3D map of area and great film which gives you a good overview of the history and geology of the place.

By the way, the Rock of Cashel is in Cashel, not Kilkenny.

If you choose Kilkenny, there is a lot to see. The castle and its garden, the medieval streets, St. Canice cathedral and its round tower, Blackfriars abbey, etc. There is an ancient dolmen not far from town. You might drive down to Hook Head to see the lighthouse there.

If you go to Cashel, the rock is right at the edge of town. It is a very interesting site. They have done a lot of renovating and research and the visitor center has an interpretive film. I am of two minds--whether I liked it better 45 years ago when it was more or less untouched and my friend and I had it to ourselves (of course it was March and out of season) or whether I appreciate all the work and research that I have seen on more recent visits. Within sight from the rock is Hore (sp?) Abbey in a field. It is a plesant hike over there.

McCroom is not far from Cashel. There is an interesting castle there--complete with canonball still lodged in the wall.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM

David, at Glendalough we took a walk around the ruins, then another walk that took us on a loop (around 1 hour walking, from memory).

Walks are well signposted from the visitor centre; there is on-site accommodation and people spend many days exploring all the walks, but the one we did gave us a great feel for the area.

We were there for a few hours only.

Enjoy Ireland, Di
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM

If you're reasonably fit, then a walk around the upper lake is well worth it.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/glendalough_ireland.htm
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:49 AM

I've been to Glendalough twice in the last 18 months. It's one of my favorite places. Carmel's B&B is a great place to stay and there are a few good restaurants in the tiny town.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advise!