Reload this Page >

DECSCIONS-DECSIONS Meersburg or Titisee for 3 nights in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Dick

We will do one or the other to save the packing-unpacking thing. Apparently they are only about 60 or 70 miles apart, so day trips to either would be no problem as we will have a car. <BR> <BR>QUESTION: Which is better for 4 days and 3 nights? <BR> <BR>Dick <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Ron Blake

Dick, <BR>My vote goes to Meersburg, few miles down the road is Lindau, which I think is a must also, between the two a great place for the three nights. Aprrox. 15 miles west of Meersburg is a great church to visit, must go inside. Boat ride also nice. Get some local wine and cheese and enjoy your patio looking over the lake. Good Luck! <BR>Ron

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Mika

Meersburg definitely, but please have a look at Ueberlingen, which is next to Meersburg. Meersburg is for day trips, Ueberlingen has better hotels. Greetings from across the lake.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Gar

agrees totaly. Titisee is just a tourist trap and maybe the worthest place in Black Forest. Meersburg shurly is full of tourist too, but anyway, it is beautiful and You can go easyly into other nice place like Konstanz, Lindau, Isle of Mainau (!), St. Gallen ... <BR>have fun <BR>Gar

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Russ

<BR>Depends on what you want to see. Titisee has tourism, but it is rather remote, and visitors tend to be those vacationing right there or in the area - it's not a "destination" as much as a resort town, and a fairly modern one. Its scenery is truly spectacular. Meersburg is a larger town with a long history and the cobbled streets to prove it. It is very well-known in Germany and is swamped with tourists and buses in a way that Titisee can only imagine - visitors are mostly day-tripping retirees who come for the town's street charms and outdoor cafes for a couple of hours. The castle tour there is seriously overhyped, by the way, but it's something to do. <BR> <BR>Titisee is a better base if you intend to tour the Northern Black Forest (open air museum in Hausach and that region) or if you plan to see Freiburg or Colmar across the border. Meersburg makes more sense for the Bodensee region or if you're heading east to see the German Alps or into Switzerland. <BR> <BR>Given just the two towns, I'd pick Titisee for its relative serenity and alpine beauty, but Meersburg would probably be pleasant too as long as you're out of town between noon and dusk, when the mobs take over.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:44 AM
knulp

Hi,well as a person from downunder who once lived across the lake from meersburg in Konstanz and who ate ate the Rathaus restaurant in Meersburg three week ago I say do not miss it.The other poster who mentions Uberlingen was right in that it is a nice town center(was swimming west of the town 10 days ago)but so are many of the towns on the Bodensee.The church mentioned must be the one at Birnau and true do not miss it.Even though the exterior is being fixed.The view over the lake and inside the church is worth being alive for.Go for it ...Stuart.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Dick

Thanks for the feedback. Yesterday I sent in my reservation request for Gasthof zum Baren in Meersburg. <BR> <BR>Plan to see everything! <BR> <BR>Dick